sad hobbies

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
col said:
Yes Iv read that somewhere too about the trains. A bit over the top in my opinion, id have it straight on the track;)
A few months ago while at a car boot I spotted a subbuteo set from the early nineties, mint condition and seemingly unused. Now I never had one as a kid but always wanted one, so I bought it for the sum of £7:biggrin:

We have a Subbuteo Express in the loft, also a car boot purchase. It's a huge 6-a-side pitch on a solid base that folds in half along the centreline. Built-in goals, solid walls all round. Came with the teams too. Hours and hours of fun we've had with it.

tyred

Legendary Member
In the past few years, I have restored two vintage tractors, a Raleigh 20 folder, a Carlton, am working off and on an old VW Caddy pickup (Mk1 Golf based model), have an old Rudge 3 speed awaiting my attention and increasingly fancy an old motorbike after admiring the old Norton owned by the dentist who works in the office next door to where I work (i think is strange as I have never rode a motorbike in my life and have never had any interest before now!).

I think I'm addicted to old rusty things. My family think I'm a ginger beer short of a picnic.

beanzontoast said:
Can't be doing with hobbies that involve collecting stuff for preservation/show rather than use - buying things that are meant to be used only to keep them in their boxes and never actually enjoyed other than being stared at.

I agree. I bought some old Airfix railway locomotive kits from a flea market once. Apparently they're worth a bit in their boxes and unassembled, but I had lots of fun building them.
I'm into photography, I collect cheap 60s and 70s Japanese guitars (I play them as well, so that's ok) and I used to be into Citroen 2CVs, to the point where I built one good one out of two old sheds, and usually had one in the front garden for spares. I have had other hobbies (home brewing, for a while) but these are the ones that seem to have stuck.

OP
OP
Andy Pandy

Andy Pandy

User3094 said:
Perhaps its hormonal?

It must be! When I was younger could get into something, do it for a bit, get bored and do something else. Now, I can't seem to let go. Have to keep dabbling in it for ever.

I've got a friend who has his gran's old Mk2 fiesta ghia, its been completely stripped and re-built right down to replacing most of the metal work and badges.

i got given my gran's Mk1 ghia at about the same time, he's hardly driven his, mine's been from yorkshire to brighton and back about 4 times, round the M25 and used daily during the uni summer breaks for the past 5 years, its also fended off the local boy racers when they try and get passed on the dual carrageway bypass. its probably in a similar state body wise to that of my friends mk2 when he started re-building - except my engine is in better condition due to having been used, lots ;)

and if i get chance to re-build it, i'll be using it again :biggrin:

OP
OP
Andy Pandy

Andy Pandy

Bodhbh said:
There's still a way to go before you hit rock bottom. ;)

Thats superb, are you a member? :biggrin:

Abitrary

bonj said:
most of these things aren't hobbies - tropical fish aren't a hobby, dogs aren't a hobby.Restoring a vw camper van is only just a hobby (would be more of one if it was vw camper vans, plural.)

Very good point. it's a bit like going out and spotting only one train.

Abitrary

User3094 said:
As I rapidly approach 40 I find myself strangley attracted to acoustic guitars. Perhaps its hormonal?

It is more than hormonal. It the most all round sensory experience you will ever encounter. I hope we're talking about classical and not folk guitars here BTW.

Oh, the smell of rosewood and pine sawdust in a madrid luthier's such as rodriguez.

Oh, the resonant, delicate yet sonorous 'ping' of a string on a proper wooden i.e. non plywood guitar.

Oh, the visual beauty of the grain of the brazilian or indian rosewood.

Make a holiday of it and go to argentina, and pick up a guitar that would cost you a couple of grand in spain, but only a couple of hundred there.

Noodley

Abitrary said:
Very good point. it's a bit like going out and spotting only one train.

You could at least count it as one of a succession of hobbies. One train, move on. One van, move on. One bike ride, move on. etc.

So far this week I have been a bird watcher, an astronomer, and a collector of beer can - I'm living on the edge.

Top Bottom