Saddle adjustment

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Glasgow44

Veteran
Hi there

I'm going to try and adjust the fore and aft position of my saddle. What bolts do I loosen? I loosened the ones on the underside but it just tilted the saddle down!

Attachments

• IMG_20210621_112705.jpg
    IMG_20210621_112705.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 12
Hi there

I'm going to try and adjust the fore and aft position of my saddle. What bolts do I loosen? I loosened the ones on the underside but it just tilted the saddle down!
Can't see that clearly but all the bolts are underside? but the two either side are the ones you want, the rails must be stiff in the grooves is all.

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
Yes you have two main bolts on the underside there, one on each side of the seat post, bolt heads facing down. Some saddle clamps have them fore and aft, some only have one, but same principle. There's basically a two-part clamp in the centre, close to the seat post- The top half on the top of the seat rails, and the bottom half under them, but with a rotating "U" shaped piece which controls the pitch of the seat. Those one or two main bolts just bring the two halves of that clamp together and secure them against the curved bit down below.

As you found, if you undo both bolts just a little, the whole saddle will suddenly feel less stable, that's the clamp released. The saddle can now be adjusted in all planes with the same bolts, that "up and down" you're feeling is the lower clamp cradle rotating (you should see a sort of "U" or cup shaped piece low down, engaging with a lower plate, sometimes on a serrated contact).

To adjust fore and aft, just slide the seat forward or back... give the back or front of the saddle a little nudge if it's sticking and it should go. It's sometimes a bit fiddly to adjust fore and aft AND keep the seat level, but you should get it okay with a bit of playing.

Last edited:
It can be a fiddly job.
One tip is to get a spirit level and lay it on the saddle before you start. Make a note of where the bubble is and then you can make sure you get the same amount of tilt, or lack of, when you tighten everything up.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
sound advice from the 2 posts above.

also You might want to pop a smear of lithium grease on the rails once you've freed it if its stuck.

Top Bottom