Saddle? bag for DLSR and other small items?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Looking for a bag that would fit a DSLR camera, mobile phone and other small pieces on a bike. Might have to be a saddle bag, but unsure if there are any large enough for what I want to use it for?

Any suggestions?

Looking for a bag that would fit a DSLR camera, mobile phone and other small pieces on a bike. Might have to be a saddle bag, but unsure if there are any large enough for what I want to use it for?

Any suggestions?
Me too but for camera body, couple of lenses and tripod. Plenty of rucksacks but i'd like something on the rack

Not in keeping with your op, sorry, but all options considered

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Carradice longflap?
That'd do it easy. :whistle:

002.JPG

Reactions: mjr

hoopdriver

Guru
I am a photographer and I often bring camera gear on my rides. A large bar bag is okay for a DSLR with just a small lens, but I prefer a Carradice Super-C saddle bag (23 litres) or a rear pannier. (The Carradice longflap mentioned above would do equally well) I use a rear pannier if I am carrying extra lenses, which I keep in padded lens cases. I have several small lightweight travel tripods - ones by MeFoto and one by Manfrotto get the most use. Both are aluminium, rather than carbon fibre because for travel tripods the weight advantages of carbon are not that significant, but the cost certainly is.

I would not carry a tripod in a backpack because who wants to take a tumble with a bar across your spine - that's just asking for serious injury. I don't carry camera gear on me either, but that is more for the camera's sake. In the event of a spill it is less likely to get damaged in a pannier or saddlebag than with my weight coming down on it in a backpack.

I also have a couple of pro-quality compact cameras that shoot in RAW and can quite easily be put in a bar bag and can perform nearly as well in most situations as a DSLR.

Ortlieb used to do a specific rack bag for cameras

prd%7B4999492E-C7C6-4476-9EC5-C40076518C52%7D.jpg

andrew_s

Legendary Member
I'd also recommend a Carradice Super C or Longflap, but use it with a Bagman QR support rather than letting it sit on the rack. The Bagman support is quite springy, and will take out almost all of the road shock. If you are touring and want the rack for panniers, the tops of the panniers will generally raise the saddlebag above rack level, to much the same effect.
Probably the Longflap would be better with a tripod.

I used to take a DSLR with 15-85 and a 100-400 that way

OP
OP
F
Thanks for the replies.

The proper camera bag is a little over-the-top for me as I only want a bag for the camera body and 1 to 2 lenses (Canon 450D, 10-28mm & 18-135mm) with snacks, bike tools and maybe a raincoat. I won't use a tripod.

I do want to save weight as much as possible on the bike, so I'm not really looking at panniers.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Thanks for the replies.

The proper camera bag is a little over-the-top for me as I only want a bag for the camera body and 1 to 2 lenses (Canon 450D, 10-28mm & 18-135mm) with snacks, bike tools and maybe a raincoat. I won't use a tripod.

I do want to save weight as much as possible on the bike, so I'm not really looking at panniers.
Are dlsr's more robust that their film equivalents? I only have a digital compact (Fujifilm X100T) but because it has a mechanical shutter, at least I hink it has, I'm loathe to take it out on the bike in case it takes a battering. Back in the day I wrecked an Olympus SLR over course of an off road tour in Wales.

Top Bottom