Saddle bag

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tynan

Veteran
will you get all that into a saddlebag?

rack and a pannier?

Noodley

Barley's are very much in evidence on audax rides. I would probably use one if I had eyelets for loops on my saddle. As I don't I use:

http://www.carradice.co.uk/day-use-bike-bags/super-c-saddlepack.shtml

which has the same capacity as the Barley (7 litres), although I have always thought the Barley allows for easier access to items as it has a flip lid. 7 Litres allowed me to carry enough kit, some food, repairs, tools, etc for a very wet 600k ride this year - it was particularly wet when I reached "NW Scotland" :sad:

(edit - the Super C 'bag tends to move about a bit when fully loaded unless additional support is used. I use a pair of toe straps.)

OP
OP
C

Crackle

I looked at the Super C but I was wondering about getting to stuff at the back which is why I thought of the Barley. I was also wondering about stability. I thought the Barley being a bit smaller might not be so floppy as the larger ones. And yes! 'Waterproofness' is very important for the West Coast :sad: I could drink me soup while I was scootling across to Mull on the ferry :biggrin:

I had a beard once: Shaved it off. I'd really like an old canvas rucksack with leather straps as well. You cant source one can you Mickle ;)

Noodley

Crackle said:
I looked at the Super C but I was wondering about getting to stuff at the back which is why I thought of the Barley. I was also wondering about stability. I thought the Barley being a bit smaller might not be so floppy as the larger ones.

The Barley can move about, and, whereas the Super C moves from side to side, it looks as if it flaps up and down which may be a bit annoying if it starts to hit the back of your thighs (remember it is wide, whereas the Super C is long). You'll maybe have to think about a support bracket, but I have seen many riding without one.

Re waterproofing - although Carradice state the fabric for the Super C is waterproof, I found out differently after 17 hours in the rain when I went to put on a "dry" base layer I had ben carrying :sad: It was only very slightly damp, but after 350km it is still a pain in the arse. I now use additional waterproof bags for "dry kit" before packing them.

OP
OP
C

Crackle

OT: When you did that Audax did you come down the A82 towards Ft. William and then across on the Corran ferry? I remember coming past swarms of cyclists on the A82 and heading onto the peninsula on a very wet and miserable Saturday. We were all coming back from the piccies in Oban.

Noodley

Crackle said:
OT: When you did that Audax did you come down the A82 towards Ft. William and then across on the Corran ferry? I remember coming past swarms of cyclists on the A82 and heading onto the peninsula on a very wet and miserable Saturday. We were all coming back from the piccies in Oban.

Yes we rode the A82 the across the Corran Ferry (where I took great delight at standing staring silently at the side of a motorist waiting for the ferry who had "buzzed" me a few miles down the road. I also ensured I stared at him during the ferry journey :sad: Funny, he looked forward all the time ;)) But there were only four of us. What you encountered was most likely the "Daylight 600" audax calendar event. It's one of the "classic" audax rides. Starts in Dalmeny, heads up Glencoe, over Corran Ferry round to Fort William than back to Dalmeny. It was held in June this year. You'll find a report here:

http://www.anothercyclingforum.com/index.php?topic=34300.0

We rode a similarish route but started/finished in Kirriemuir in August. Here's some blethers and pics:

http://www.anothercyclingforum.com/index.php?topic=37556.0

OP
OP
C

Crackle

Good reading that :sad:

Yes it was the June one I saw because somebody was complaining about the roads. They'd just resurfaced them in June with lots of small loose chippings. The roads were unrideable on a bike for about two weeks around here, it was this and a bad cold which broke my rhythm over early summer.

I notice a few people mentioned the climbs over to Glenuig, which is one of my regular routes, though I haven't done 200K beforehand!

I see from your pictures you didn't have the best of weather. It's one of the reasons I've got my turbo permanently set up!

Hmmm I must get myself up to having a go at some longer distance rides. If I keep riding through winter I might just manage it next year, finally break the 100 mile barrier, only ever done 80ish previously.

Noodley

Crackle said:
I notice a few people mentioned the climbs over to Glenuig, which is one of my regular routes, though I haven't done 200K beforehand!

I see from your pictures you didn't have the best of weather. It's one of the reasons I've got my turbo permanently set up!

Hmmm I must get myself up to having a go at some longer distance rides. If I keep riding through winter I might just manage it next year, finally break the 100 mile barrier, only ever done 80ish previously.

I did my first 200k (125 miles) in March this year. It's mostly "mental" after that if you maintain a steady level of riding. I didn't believe the person who told me that in March :sad: But they were right. Finding a good person or group to ride with on long rides is a big bonus. Although, I did my first solo audax ride earlier this month and it was okay - I thought I'd miss the company but reckon I had done enough rides to be mentally prepared for it.

OP
OP
C

Crackle

I would have to do more miles and a few longer rides than I do now and maybe find some local cycling groups to help with the motivation etc.. but maybe it's doable.

Anyway back on topic - the Barley: Green or Black?

OP
OP
C

Crackle

The funny thing is my thoughts have turned to a BRooks saddle as well after having spent years rejecting them. I had real trouble using the shaver this morning as well and I've dug my Teva summer sandals out. They're no good though, don't Shimano do an SPD one..... Those baskets look good .......

I don't know what's come over me - must be a phase I'm going through.

Top Bottom