Saddle bag

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Plax

Guru
The only thing with saddle bags - what do you do with your lights? I have mine fitted to the seatpost. with a saddle bag I wouldn't be able to do this/.

Noodley

Plax said:
The only thing with saddle bags - what do you do with your lights? I have mine fitted to the seatpost. with a saddle bag I wouldn't be able to do this/.

I have one attached to the saddlebag. And another attached to the frame. And another stuck on my jacket loop if I'm wearing it.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
I recommend the Barley, I use mine on my Giant TCR with an SQR mount. Works a treat, no interference from back of thighs, doesn't swing around much on a relatively skittish bike and holds enough kit for a day out. Have used a fully loaded Camper Longflap on the SQR on the Giant as well and seems a very stable arrangement.
I also have a light on the Barley, and a light on the rear stay.
I agree with Noodley, good though the waterproofing is, plastic bags inside are a good idea, I've suffered 6 hours of stair-rods and it's been OK so far.

I really rate mine and the SQR system makes removal at cake-stops a piece of piss.

OP
OP
C

Crackle

I'm veering........

.....towards a carradry which comes with the SQR clamp and means I don't have to choose a saddle with loops (or buy the clamp seperate) and a saddle is something else I need.....

....which saddle though! I thought I'd solved that once but I'm back to where I started...

...off to do some reading up on saddle fit and sit bones and stuff, seeing as I already got it wrong once.

Pete

I have a Carradice barley and I'm not impressed.

I carry it on a Brooks with loops, but with no support rack. Maybe, with one, I wouldn't have a problem, but I don't want to attach extra ironmongery to the bike (I have the shopper for that) and anyway my road frame has no rack or mudguard eyes.

After about 1½ years of use it sags and sags and sags ... and eventually droops to touch the wheel, come what may. Especially when it's half empty. This despite the fact that I have a reasonable length of seat pin showing. Sometimes I'm tempted to stuff some unnecessary item in it just to make it hold the right shape. :sad: This rather defeats the purpose I think.

Needless to say the bag now has a big hole in it where it's been rubbing the wheel.

Any suggestions welcome but I'm thinking of getting a smaller wedge for light loads.

OP
OP
C

Crackle

Right I've not so much veered as swerved.

Barley - like it but as Pete pointed out they sag: I read a few reviews to the same effect. I could, as FF has done, have bought a support but I didn't really want to clamp anything permanently on the seat post and the SQR clamp is quite big as I finally appreciated on FF's picture of his Giant.

Noodleys' Super C was too big for my needs so I've settled on the Prima Maxi saddlebag in black as reviewed here. Should do the trick and doesn't need saddle loops. Also has a mount for an LED, which the Carradry didn't and a zip pocket and a mesh pocket for wet waterproof - perfect! Right, the kids can get me that for Xmas.

you can buy bolt on saddlebag loops that bolt onto the rails here though the side is a bit out of date so it's best to email first if you want some . http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/NICK_AT_LLOYDS/BIKEBITS.htm
look in the cyclo section

Top Bottom