Saddle Bags

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jezston

Über Member
I've been meaning to ditch the rucksack for a saddlebag (bike can't take rack, and I think saddlebags look nicer!) for some time now, and I think it's about time I treat myself!

I'd like something that's big enough to fit a pair of jeans and a tshirt, and a few tools - maybe some compact waterproofs - but nothing too bulky. It would also be a bonus if the bag can also be carried with a shoulder strap for when I'm off the bike.

My bike has a Dia Compe saddle that has the rings for mounting such a bag a la Brooks.

I like the style of the Brooks Glenbrook:
(Brooks' website is down?)
http://www.wiggle.co.uk/brooks-saddles-glenbrook-holdall-saddle-bag/
But it's a shame they only come in black, don't appear to have any way of mounting a light, and are rather pricey!

Carradice Barley:
http://www.carradice.co.uk/index.php?page_id=product&under=type&product_id=43
Currently front runner - I'd need to see one in the flesh to be sure that's the right size for me, but the green is nice, shoulder strap extra, and plenty of mounting options.

Anything else I should be looking at I might not be aware of?
Thinking more classic style like the above to suit my bike, which is dark green with dark brown leather saddle and bartape.

Holdsworth

Über Member
I found the Carradice Lowsaddle Longflap to be the best saddlebag for my needs, although I realise you may not need to carry as much stuff as I did. I bought one for the same reason as you as I hated wearing a rucksack on the bike, much to sweaty and heavy on the back.

How are you planning to fit the bag to your bike, do you have saddle loops like on a Brooks saddle or the screw-on ones that clamp around the seat rails at the back? If not you may want to invest in the Bagman QR mounting system made by Carradice themselves. It allows the bag to be fitted to any saddle, the loops from the bag that would normally go through the loops on saddle instead go through a pair of sliding bolts.
It also holds the bag steady so it doesn't swing about nearly as much if you were using saddle loops alone.

It is a tad expensive and adds a fair bit to the total price of the bag but I found it was worth it enable me to carry work clothes on a bike that couldn't take a pannier rack
smile.gif

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/carradice-b...=google&utm_medium=base&utm_campaign=products

My Carradice QR rack just arrived today, still trying to hunt down a bag to go with it as Wiggle are out of stock and Carradice themselves charge full RRP

OP
OP
Jezston

Jezston

Über Member
How are you planning to fit the bag to your bike, do you have saddle loops like on a Brooks saddle or the screw-on ones that clamp around the seat rails at the back?

[quote name ='Me, just then']
My bike has a Dia Compe saddle that has the rings for mounting such a bag a la Brooks.
[/quote]

;)

Is there anything other than carradice worth looking at?

upsidedown

Waiting for the great leap forward
I had a Barley but couldn't get on with it so it went on the bay. Unless you use the QR rack it sits at a funny tilted angle, and the ends don't
do up very well. Moved to the Super C saddle bag which is much better.
Sorry don't know if there's anything else but Carradice.

crumpetman

A vote for the Barley. I got one a few days ago after using a nelson longflap for a year and realising that it was way too big for my day to day needs.

It's quite suprising how much you can get into the Barley: jeans, t-shirt, boxers, socks, tools, phone, keys, wallet, sandwich, banana, arm warmers and a cap. I could probably get some more in there once the bag has worn in a little bit and gets more supple. I am using the quick release support bracket that I got to go with the nelson.

OP
OP
Jezston

Jezston

Über Member
Oh hello, I forgot about this thread.

I finally saw a Barley in the flesh at the weekend, and they are smaller than I expected. Can you seriously get a full set of clothes in one? It looked to me as having the same amount of size as a small loaf of bread.

crumpetman

Yes you can! I listed above what I had in mine. As long as you pack carefully, roll clothes rather than fold and use up all the little spaces around the larger items. If you find a shop which sells them (or someone who will let you have a try with theirs) then you can see for yourself how much you can fit into it.

Forget it though if you need to take shoes or anything chunky like that. Also, I would not consider using it without a quick release bracket, the bag hangs at the wrong angle with just the regular straps and it is way too much hassle getting it off and on for every ride.

OP
OP
Jezston

Jezston

Über Member
Just bumping this, as I have been offered one as a birthday present. Aww.

Probably going to go for the Pendle or Cadet depending on sizing and availability.

I have a couple of questions for those with Caradice bags:

1. How waterproof are they? Will they take a serious pour for over an hour and keep their contents dry?

2. How easy are they to get on and off? I'll be taking it to work so will be wanting to take it on and off twice a day - would it be worth investing in the additional quick release mechanism? Assuming the QR isn't just for their QR-specific bags?

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
1. How waterproof are they? Will they take a serious pour for over an hour and keep their contents dry?
Don't drop it in a stream.

However - my lowsaddle longflap was out in an hour of headwind driven rain on Monday, and lesser amounts all week. My book (Cordelia Fine's "Delusions of Gender" was bone dry, as was everything else. You shield the bag a bit, and, hung at the right angle, the flap should form a sort of "pitched roof" shape with the bit facing the front of the bike that seems to help shed the water.

The bag they come in makes a nice liner if you're worried.
2. How easy are they to get on and off? I'll be taking it to work so will be wanting to take it on and off twice a day - would it be worth investing in the additional quick release mechanism? Assuming the QR isn't just for their QR-specific bags?
Undo three buckles, unthread from the seat loops.

People hack all kinds of QR arrangements from mini clips &c, but I've never felt the need, personally.

The one thing I did do was bodge a stand off from some pipe, because my seat angle is a bit slack on the LHT.

One other tip - the side pockets don't have the best closure for retaining small things - put little tools & in a pouch if you're storing them in there.

Carradices are brilliant. I love mine, and keep thinking I should get a Barley and a Camper just so I have one for every type of ride.

I'd say try it without QR, if you don't like it, buy/bodge a QR.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Just bumping this, as I have been offered one as a birthday present. Aww.

Probably going to go for the Pendle or Cadet depending on sizing and availability.

I have a couple of questions for those with Caradice bags:

2. I used to use the SQR but have since realised it is a butt ugly clonky piece of plastic garbage with a sub-CSE metalwork metal frame that has no place on my bikes

1. Two days riding in torrential rain in Scotland the contents were damp. Not wet as such but the guidebook had absorbed some moisture.

Top Bottom