saddle fitting/new saddle help

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
tricky&thefox

tricky&thefox

Thanks. The gel saddle cover has only been on this week, i can feel a bit of a difference but im very sore/bruised after yesterday. Ive just sat on my bike and made a conscious effort to sit further back and i could feel it but not unbearable. I shifted to where i sit when riding and was in instant pain. Ive found evans cycles about ten min from me that sell specialized saddles where they can hopefully fit a saddle to me.

Should i try shifting the saddle forwards an inch? Also noticed when i put my hands down to the grips i was very tender in certain areas :/ does the saddle need to be exactly flat or is tilting it slightly forwards to relieve pressure on my unmentionables an option?

OP
OP
tricky&thefox

tricky&thefox

Bike.jpg

Heres my bike, does the seat look anything like? The guy we bought it from had built it from scratch himself

MattHB

Proud Daddy
Thanks. The gel saddle cover has only been on this week, i can feel a bit of a difference but im very sore/bruised after yesterday. Ive just sat on my bike and made a conscious effort to sit further back and i could feel it but not unbearable. I shifted to where i sit when riding and was in instant pain. Ive found evans cycles about ten min from me that sell specialized saddles where they can hopefully fit a saddle to me.

Should i try shifting the saddle forwards an inch? Also noticed when i put my hands down to the grips i was very tender in certain areas :/ does the saddle need to be exactly flat or is tilting it slightly forwards to relieve pressure on my unmentionables an option?

Why are you limiting yourself to a spesh saddle? Your initial measurements in your post are likely to be wrong. I'm not sure it's even possible to have sit bones 180 apart, even for a girl?

Its a good idea tho to go get measured properly. The stairs foil method is extremely hit and miss and highly effected by body fat.

OP
OP
tricky&thefox

tricky&thefox

Because someone further up said they do a wide range for women :smile: i have no idea, i tried the foil a few times and got 30mm variance hence i want someone to fit one for me who has half a clue lol.

MrJamie

Oaf on a Bike
Womens seat bones are further apart than mens iirc, so a womens saddle might make all the difference. Also if you try to keep pedalling all the time and as you get fitter youll take more of your bodyweight with your legs and put less weight on the saddle. Having the bike set up properly would make a big difference to how much weight you put on the saddle too.

I keep mentioning weight, but imho its more about weight distribution and bike set-up. I put my 19 stone on a standard saddle for upto 50 miles at a time without problems, without any gel or any cycling clothing. Although sometimes i wear dhb padded undershorts for extra comfort, which id thoroughly recommend if you dont want to dress up like a cyclist yet :smile:

OP
OP
tricky&thefox

tricky&thefox

No freewheeling then? Was only the downhills that kept me going yesterday hehe. My bike definitely needs setting up properly, it has been a case of guess work setting it up from what bits I've read, so it is probably hindering me somehow. I dont mind looking like a cyclist, i find it motivating cos i can tell ive lost weight in them

RaRa

I reckon i'm probably about the same size as you (although I've been several sizes bigger) and I currently use a Selle Italia Lady Diva Gel Flow Saddle. I have also liked and used a Charge Ladle Ladies Saddle.
One change I have made is to very slightly tilt the saddle down at the front - makes a world of difference over long distances.

OP
OP
tricky&thefox

tricky&thefox

Thats so strange you say that, ive just been to the bike shop where he recommended me the charge ladle, i'll be picking one up on friday :smile: it does look wider and much thinner than mine.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
That saddle looks a disaster zone. Do pop down to a proper bike shop, maybe one that has the Specialized BG bum fit system.

My wife shoved a padded gel cover on her old bike, and it just introduces extra contact points/pressure you don't need. Soft isn't comfy on a bike. Her new bike has a big cut out, but is more padded than my saddles, and hasn't had any issues (she just rides for leisure).

Don't get 'over sold' on cut outs on saddles. It's usually the saddle design that makes the difference. For me it's flat topped saddles, cut out or not. Got 2 with cut outs, two without.

PaulSecteur

No longer a Specialized fanboy
At the moment I'm riding once a week (I'm aiming for 3-4 times a week but the soreness is killing me) of around 10-15miles.

When I first started 5 miles was a long ride, so well done for getting into double figures!

I think park of your problem might be the lack of times you are getting on your bike, would it not be possible for you to get out 3 or 4 times a week, even if its only for 15 minutes each?

I found that by doing frequent but shorter rides got my cheeks used to being on the saddle. If you only get out once a week it will just get sore, but not adapt or really become acustomed tobeing on a saddle.

Oh, and ditch that gel cover, its not doing you any favours! (Been there, tried that!)

simon.r

Person
Also noticed when i put my hands down to the grips i was very tender in certain areas :/ does the saddle need to be exactly flat or is tilting it slightly forwards to relieve pressure on my unmentionables an option?

My ex-wife swears by a Terry Liberator - a saddle with a hole in it, which apparently does wonders for her unmentionables:smile:

liberator1.jpg

(That photo's from http://www.bikecult.com/works/saddle.html. A new site to me, but one that looks interesting!)

Top Bottom