Saddle for hybrid?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Paulq

Bike Rider, Beer Drinker, Biscuit Eater.
Started the commute this week and all was well apart from the stock saddle supplied with my Giant Escape 3. Not a comfortable experience.

Over the years I have have kept a few saddles from previous bikes and have a Selle San Marco Rolls, Specialized BG and Selle Flite that I could use. My other bike is fitted with a Fizik Rondine which is fantastic.

Question is would a Rolls or Flite really be suitable for a hybrid or are they more oriented for road bikes? I want to avoid buying another Rondine if I can but if I have to then I will.

Cheers

RecordAceFromNew

Swinging Member
Why not try them?

Moodyman

Legendary Member
I know of several roadies who ride Brooks B17 or MTB saddles. I also know of MTB riders who ride road bike saddles.

If it's comfortable, who cares what it looks like. Besides nobody will see it when you're sat on it.

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
Paulq said:
Started the commute this week and all was well apart from the stock saddle supplied with my Giant Escape 3. Not a comfortable experience.

Over the years I have have kept a few saddles from previous bikes and have a Selle San Marco Rolls, Specialized BG and Selle Flite that I could use. My other bike is fitted with a Fizik Rondine which is fantastic.

Question is would a Rolls or Flite really be suitable for a hybrid or are they more oriented for road bikes? I want to avoid buying another Rondine if I can but if I have to then I will.

Cheers

If you have found a saddle you like, stick with it...

Eddiethelaowai

I had the same problem with my Giant FCR - the saddle was too wide at the rear which can be uncomfortable after a few km's - I'm using a road-bike saddle now and it feels much better. It depends more on your seating position - if you like to sit upright flat on the seat then something big and supportive (such as a Brooks) comes into play, whereas if you are like myself and you spend most of your time on the edge or out of the saddle, a road-bike perch will be more useful.

Armegatron

Im using a Brooks Flyer (basically a sprung B17) on my Scott Hybrid. My back feels much better for the springs and my bum is happy too :laugh:

The saddle is in black on a white bike, and looks very smart...

attachment.php

mark i

I have tried a few. I have a brooks on my brompton, it is a little wide at the nose for me. I tried it on my big commute bike for a while, but the width of the nose put my knees out of line. I have a specialized alias on the commuter now and it works for me, however saddle choice is very personal!

+1 for the venerable B17. I too have one fitted to a Brompton. I have the standard BG fitted to my Spesh Langster and have replaced the stock saddle on my Boardman MTB with a Charge Stool. In order it would be Brooks, Charge and finally Spesh for me (although none are uncomfortable). I will fit a B17 to my next bike, a cyclocross, when the C2W scheme opens again.

Top Bottom