Saddle for new bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mralexrides

Got a new road bike need a new saddle for. One came with it is horrible. Think I could do with one with a big cut out in middle to stop numbness. I was looking at is the Nukeproof Horizon Enduro Saddle but its a mountain bike but obviously that doesn't matter. I have a brookes b17 on my other bike I love but dont want to break in a new one. Any recommendations? I prefer to not wear the padded shorts but I do have them, Price range under £100.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
I've got Charge Spoons on both my road bikes. I won't claim that they are like sitting on a feather bed, but they don't seem like complete instruments of torture. Lord knows, plenty of companies seem to peddle the latter.

Got a new road bike need a new saddle for. One came with it is horrible. Think I could do with one with a big cut out in middle to stop numbness. I was looking at is the Nukeproof Horizon Enduro Saddle but its a mountain bike but obviously that doesn't matter. I have a brookes b17 on my other bike I love but dont want to break in a new one. Any recommendations? I prefer to not wear the padded shorts but I do have them, Price range under £100.
Tried out a Nukeproof on the MTB. Bloody awful.
Prologo going on this week, they just seem to work for me. Got this for £25 but gone up a bit
https://www.wiggle.co.uk/prologo-kappa-evo-t20-saddle-with-chromo-rails

gcogger

Saddles are the most subjective part of a bike - what's comfortable for one person will be painful for another. Unfortunately, I don't think getting advice from others will help. (For example, I found the Charge Spoon to be an " instrument of torture").

vickster

Legendary Member
Spoon doesn’t have cut out.
have you checked your sit bone measurement.
find a brand that offers a trial period (check Specialized, Bontrager), try your LBS, get measured, see what they have. As above no one can say what will suit.
Do padded shorts help? Numbness suggests your set up could also be off, or you need to move around out of the saddle?

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
If you already know that get along with Brooks, I'd say stick with it.

The "breaking in" process is as much about breaking you as the saddle, and you already have that part done.

Otherwise you could contact Dillglove who do loan Selle SMP.

Paul_Smith SRCC

www.plsmith.co.uk
One rider may swear by a saddle that another may swear because of, so recommendations may not be as useful as hoped. A quality saddle design of the correct width is also a good idea. A good local bike store will have a simple device to make sure your sit bones are supported then match that to a saddle relevant to your style of bike and riding position.
601316 601313
As well as the sit bone width many will also have a posture rating that will relate to your style of bike and relevant bike fit. On that note in all cases the correct bike fit is also beneficial to saddle comfort, if it's wrong you may compensate by fidgeting to the wrong part of the saddle. Quite common that a rider will come in for a fitting quoting saddle discomfort and understanbly they were expecting that the issue was with the saddle, when infact it was simply down to the wrong bike fit, once corrected their new positioning on the saddle alleviated the issue.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mralexrides

Mralexrides

If you already know that get along with Brooks, I'd say stick with it.

The "breaking in" process is as much about breaking you as the saddle, and you already have that part done.

Otherwise you could contact Dillglove who do loan Selle SMP.
Yeah but the b17 is on my other saddle and don't really want to keep swapping it over plus it's super heavy. Bought a cheap one on Amazon and will wear bike shorts. Probably the worst idea ever.

JoeyB

Go on, tilt your head!
I currently have Specialized BG Power Expert and Power Arc Expert saddles on my bikes. They have cutouts and come in a variety of widths depending on your sit bone needs!

vickster

Legendary Member
Yeah but the b17 is on my other saddle and don't really want to keep swapping it over plus it's super heavy. Bought a cheap one on Amazon and will wear bike shorts. Probably the worst idea ever.
Super cheap padded shorts may not be fit for purpose either.
Cost isn't a determining factor on saddle comfort, higher cost may mean lighter materials, or more likely you're just paying for the name. Some people get on just fine with the stock saddle on their new bike

Get your sit bones measured at a lbs that has the necessary machine. They'll then be able to make a recommendation.

I did that and ended up buying a specialized power comp saddle. It has a cut out and at the time it was below 100 quid, not sure how much it goes for today.

I have it on my gravel bike but I'm thinking about getting one for my road bike too. The giant stock saddle felt good at the beginning and feels good on shorter rides but I recently was on the turbo for like 1.5 hours and my private parts got numb. Not the greatest feeling.

Top Bottom