Saddle height adjustment maybe??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

thebigP

so I was on Zwift earlier and I had the resistance wacked up to setting 8 (its a Tacx blue motion for anyone asking) and I was sitting at around 250-280 W for 10 minutes at a lowish rpm, maybe 75-80. towards the end I started to feel quite a lot of pain in and around my knees, its not bc my legs didn't have it in them to do 250w efforts, I thought it could be the torque going through my knees at the angle they are right now is too big and I need to raise my saddle height a bit to free them up. any thoughts???

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Can't comment as you don't say where your saddle height is now. Perhaps you could post a pic? We're you okay before and did you make any adjustments?

OP
OP
thebigP

thebigP

I was completely fine before, previously I had spent long days in the saddle at the same saddle heist but I wasn't putting any power down, it was all zone 1 between 100-150w. no adjustments made either

Bill Gates

Saddle height if incorrect will result in inefficiency but worse than that pain and injury. There is lots of advice on the internet about getting a good position. If you look at my avatar my pedal is at the lowest point saddle to down tube to crank in a straight line. My knee is slightly bent and my shoe is just off level pointing down. Other riders will have different ideas so I'm just putting this forward as what works for me. My method is to sit on the saddle with the pedal position at its furthest away and with a straight leg the saddle height should just allow the heel of the shoe to touch the pedal.

Last edited:

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
1572429939496.png

set up as in A heel on pedal leg straight
ride an is in B

CXRAndy

Guru
I was completely fine before, previously I had spent long days in the saddle at the same saddle heist but I wasn't putting any power down, it was all zone 1 between 100-150w. no adjustments made either

Riding at lower wattage's then jumping up can strain joints and tendons. Its like lifting light weights in the gym, then going much heavier without building up to to it, it can lead to strain.

Check saddle height with above simple heel method(very accurate). I used that method and my final saddle height was 5mm higher after experimenting above and below the heel method test.

Top Bottom