Saddle Height - Frame size

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cris S

Regular
Hello

After getting a new bike my first for some many years it got me thinking about saddle height - frame size.

If you buy a bike with a frame size that is for your measurements then would you not need the saddle way up high
as you see. I am assuming that even the riders in the Tour De France etc have bikes with frames that are to small, if
this is the case, here comes what maybe the stupid question, why ?

Even many many years ago I never questioned this, it was just done.

I only have one/two maybe three answers to this, but interested to see what others say.

teletext45

The frame is for your height and reach, the seat hight is set up in conjunction with leg reach to your pedals in mind. Also on the tour the handle bars are dropped ususally around 1-2 inches lower then the seat to gain aerodynamic advantage.

A general rule is to place your heel flat on the pedal on the down stroke your knee should just about lock out, other then take it will take trial and error to get the most comfortable set up.

A road bike is alot different to that of a mountain bike, i can just about reach the floor with my tip-toes when i'm sat on the saddle.

the set up process does take alot of time so be prepared to make alot of alterations

andy

OP
OP
C

Cris S

Regular
The frame is for your height and reach, the seat hight is set up in conjunction with leg reach to your pedals in mind. Also on the tour the handle bars are dropped ususally around 1-2 inches lower then the seat to gain aerodynamic advantage.

A general rule is to place your heel flat on the pedal on the down stroke your knee should just about lock out, other then take it will take trial and error to get the most comfortable set up.

A road bike is alot different to that of a mountain bike, i can just about reach the floor with my tip-toes when i'm sat on the saddle.

the set up process does take alot of time so be prepared to make alot of alterations

andy

Hello

Yes I understand the heel on the pedal and the knee just locking.

The aerodynamic bit I understand.

My height is 6' foot with a 33inside leg, now the frame I have is 59cm.

The handlebar stem is set way down near the frame, now with the saddle set at that correct
height, the saddle is at the same height as the handlebar stem, so even if I wanted to drop the
handlebar stem to that aerodynamic racing style I could not do it.

If I was to set a bike up for that aerodynamic racing look style I would have to get a smaller frame size, yes ?

That being the case why are certain frame sizes recommened for certain heights etc

This is just out of interest, as the bike I have suits my purpose it will never be raced, to old for that game now.

teletext45

i think it boils down to the gemotry of the frame, top tube length, seat tube length etc etc in order to create a frame which can be fine tuned to suit riders of each height.

andy

brockers

Cris S, I keep posting this clip, sorry. It faintly de-mystifies these matters, I hope.
http://www.youtube.c...h?v=FAl_5e7bIHk

Ah! The Jarvis Cocker of bike fitting.

I'd say your frame size sounds ok, but these days someone of your height would more likely be on a 57cm frame (and if you were competitive, even a 55). A ball park guide is to take your inside leg measurement (actually measured from crotch to floor, not your trouser size) and multiply by two thirds.

Top riders these days generally have a saddle/handlebar difference greater than 1-2 inches. Takea look at George Hincapie's bike!

http://cdn4.media.cy...ll_view_600.jpg

Warning: don't try this at home, folks! And don't concern yourself with the funny seat-stays either. They're just weird.

I can't quite understand why you can't get much of a difference between your saddle and bar top. Can you post a picture?

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
How big are your feet?
The method of putting your heel on the pedal with your leg locked out for saddle height will not work for 11+.
What bike did you buy?

OP
OP
C

Cris S

Regular
Hello

No need to post a picture my bike (Raleigh100 Road Racing) because as I say it will not be used for racing, and I could not assume the racing position for any length of time at my age.

As I thought as in the replies here, if I was racing I would be using a smaller frame size and
possibly with a different geometry to gain the racing position.

Thanks all, and it as I thought.

Top Bottom