Saddle restoration

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tel

Veteran
I've just acquired an old tatty Flite saddle. I've screwed and glued the cover down and it looks ok actually, better than I expected, but I was wondering if I can do anything about the scuffing? I've seen leather colourants but wondered if I'd just end up with a black butt!

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
The only thing I can suggest is maybe a leather creme - like a (riding) saddle creme.

I use Ikea's leather sofa creme on my Flite and Regal - certainly improves the finish.

OP
OP
T

Tel

Veteran
Thanks Fossyant. I used some saddle soap on it which has darkened up the scuffed bits thus making them less obvious. As it's only going on the commuter I think that'll do. Cheers.

02GF74

Über Member
you can buy dylon leather dyes, in a few colours. it will make quirte a difference but as you suspect, some of the dye will tend to come off - I did this to a steering wheel and gotr darkie hands but they are alright now.

I recovered a vetta saddle with some leather from a leather jacket - not as hard to do as it sounds, in fact I'd say it is better than the original as that had a plastic cover.

OP
OP
T

Tel

Veteran
02GF74 said:
I recovered a vetta saddle with some leather from a leather jacket - not as hard to do as it sounds, in fact I'd say it is better than the original as that had a plastic cover.

Yeah actually that sounds quite doable, using the old cover as a template. How did you secure the new cover to the saddle?

Top Bottom