Saddle Riding position The Lemond method

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Levo-Lon

Guru
After watching the tdf ,yet again i find myself thinking these top riders seem to have the seat set with a lot of knee bend..
So i googled road bike seat height and read about the Lemond way..
Measure inside leg with no shoes and with a spirit level at the groin ,Then take that measurement and multiply by 0.883..ballpark setting
Well my seats are about 8 mm higher..so that's a really good set up guide..
I used the heal at 6 oclock method as a rule, plus the fore and aft and comfort .

Just thought I'd share that as its been raining ...

Last edited:

Drago

Legendary Member
Lance Nutstrong used to frustrate his technical bods by having all these bike fits, and then cranking the seat up another 1/2" the moment their back was turned.

A lot of the top flight competitors have their own methods. If it works for them...

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
I do it by feel. Sit on the bike, then adjust up or down. Repeat until satisfied.

Last time I had a "bike-fit" (which was being measured for a new frame), our man squinted at me sat on the jig from across the room, between making fine adjustments. Then I brought my bike in to check, and we were within a mm or two.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
my bike fit rule is if you can stand over the crossbar with bike slightly lent to one side then it should be ok as long as you can reach the levers and going the opposite way if you can lift the bike up till the x bar touches your bits or slits before the saddle goes above your head its not too small :laugh:

KneesUp

Guru
I have the right-knee method - if it's too low my right knee hurts. If it's too high I can't reach the pedals.

Mind you I haven't won thee TdFs.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
lemonds method is based on 175 mm cranks , spot on for my mtb but my road bikes have 170 mm so i add 5 mm to seat height.Strangely enough for me that calculation is pretty much spot on compared to heel on pedal method for me.

Top Bottom