Saddle Riding position ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Levo-Lon

Guru
I watch the pros on tv ..giro tdf etc..
Just watching the giro and so many of the riders are right at the front of the saddle..I've tried this and don't know how they can ride like this or why..it's not err comfy.. What's the reason?
I have heard the term Back in the saddle

It's called "on the rivet" from the days when there were rivets on saddles. They are racing, that's the reason. It's not supposed to be comfy. :okay:

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
TV tends to show the highlights, when they're working hard.
FaustoCoppi.jpg

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
It's called "on the rivet" from the days when there were rivets on saddles. They are racing, that's the reason. It's not supposed to be comfy. :okay:
I'd struggle to give a definitive sciency kind of physiological explanation what forces are in play to bring the bum forwards on the saddle but you often see it in TT events and aero position stuff in track events together with the regular shift back to the rear of the saddle. Mind, when they're pushing out several hundred watts, there can't be much residual weight on the bum anyway.

I'd struggle to give a definitive sciency kind of physiological explanation what forces are in play to bring the bum forwards on the saddle but you often see it in TT events and aero position stuff in track events together with the regular shift back to the rear of the saddle. Mind, when they're pushing out several hundred watts, there can't be much residual weight on the bum anyway.
I always found that the best aero track position was further back on the saddle, although edging forward helped when getting a bit knackered.

OP
OP
Levo-Lon

Levo-Lon

Guru
I thought it maybe a circulation position to help with blood flow to the legs..
I do get numbness in my backside riding in normal seated position.

Top Bottom