saddle rub with fabric scoop radius

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
title says it all ,
as the edge of the padding doesnt go under the hull recently i have started get some soreness in the area that sits on the edge even with shorts .I have used these saddles for a couple of years with no issues when i couldnt get on with the flat narrow saddles i was ok with .
I did try the narrow flat one again and although not as bad it still was nt right after a couple of hours then remembered i have the model they were based on the charge scoop on the commuter and i dont seem to have the same issues as the material is attached in the traditional way under the hull of the saddle
abric-scoop-race-radius-saddle-p10258-27775_medium.jpg
sr_781727_large.jpg

the_mikey

Legendary Member
The weird thing about saddles, is your bad saddle might be the best saddle ever to another person, and your alternative saddle might be someone's saddle-sore fest. I've recently given up on a Selle Italia Novus Flow saddle as I'm finding it very uncomfortable, Fabric saddles seem to be on sale at Merlin right now which has lead me to put one on the list of saddles to consider, I have had good experiences with the Fabric Scoop shape, I have a Giant branded saddle which has the exact same shape, so I'll probably try one, but what are the alternatives?

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Charge spoons (lower picture above) suited me well, which as pointed out is very similar to fabric scoop.

I've now moved to San Marco Rolls which is similar flat shape but marginally wider I think, which suits me even better.

Jameshow

Veteran
Charge spoons (lower picture above) suited me well, which as pointed out is very similar to fabric scoop.

I've now moved to San Marco Rolls which is similar flat shape but marginally wider I think, which suits me even better.

Rolls is my go too mid distance saddle,

spoon / flite short distances.

Brook for century plus..

Threevok

Growing old disgracefully
Best saddle I ever owned for long distances was the Selle SMP TRK. The ugliest thing you'll ever see, but helped lots

Attachments

• IMG_0269.JPG
    IMG_0269.JPG
    85.1 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_0270.JPG
    IMG_0270.JPG
    36.9 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:

GuyBoden

Guru
Or if they really are the wrong shape can lead to at the least discomfort or wear to clothing and at the worse sores and infections!

Yes, the wrong shape saddle is the wrong saddle for you, but still, within reason, the thing about saddles is that the more you ride on them the better they get.

vickster

Legendary Member
Yes, the wrong shape saddle is the wrong saddle for you, but still, within reason, the thing about saddles is that the more you ride on them the better they get.

I don’t really get that? Saddles also wear unhelpfully
(unless you only mean a leather Brooks?)

Last edited:

T4tomo

Legendary Member

no not true. Might apply to Brooks or other leather type sprung saddles etc. but not regular saddles.

I got a cut out saddle once. Seems fine on 30 mile test rides. Did 80 miles on it and my gentleman sausage was numb for 2 days. Mightily relieved when I regained feeling in it I can tell. Are you suggesting I should have just carried with that? :laugh: :laugh:

GuyBoden

Guru
no not true. Might apply to Brooks or other leather type sprung saddles etc. but not regular saddles.

I got a cut out saddle once. Seems fine on 30 mile test rides. Did 80 miles on it and my gentleman sausage was numb for 2 days. Mightily relieved when I regained feeling in it I can tell. Are you suggesting I should have just carried with that? :laugh: :laugh:

I don’t really get that? Saddles also wear (unless you only mean a leather Brooks?)

Not really what I'm saying.

Any reasonable fitting saddle will get better the more you ride on it.

Your anatomy gets accustomed to the shape.

I had 6 months of not riding due to an accident, on my first rides back I got saddle sore on saddles I could ride all day on last year, now after two months of riding 2-3 times a week the saddles are great again.

That's my experience.

Jameshow

Veteran
Not really what I'm saying.

Any reasonable fitting saddle will get better the more you ride on it.

Your anatomy gets accustomed to the shape.

I had 6 months of not riding due to an accident, on my first rides back I got saddle sore on saddles I could ride all day on last year, now after two months of riding 2-3 times a week the saddles are great again.

That's my experience.

I agree but it's more our backside confirming to the saddle although a comfortable saddle is a good start....!

Urgh, SMP saddles are the work of Beelzebub. :thumbsdown:

If the basic saddle shape works well enough, maybe try the narrower version of the same - Charge Knife iirc?

Of course, I'm not pat on blokes' saddles, but a badly-fitting saddle that pinches and rubs in all the wrong places is a bloody miserable thing. And that's regardless of the layout of your below-the-decks plumbing.

OP
OP
cyberknight

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Urgh, SMP saddles are the work of Beelzebub. :thumbsdown:

If the basic saddle shape works well enough, maybe try the narrower version of the same - Charge Knife iirc?

Of course, I'm not pat on blokes' saddles, but a badly-fitting saddle that pinches and rubs in all the wrong places is a bloody miserable thing. And that's regardless of the layout of your below-the-decks plumbing.

its odd the radius and spoon are the same shape but the lay up of the radius with the cover not going over the hull fully with the lip that you shouldnt be feeling as its below the padding but its where im guessing im feeling it .The knife is the same as the spoon but less padding and Ti rails ( if you can still get one )

I guess a small difference can be enough to cause an issue.

Madison saddles are essentially the same thing, and I seem to recall that Spa does an "own brand" version as well.

FWIW, I ride on a Charge Ladle (roadie & hybrid) and a Madison Leia (MTB)

Top Bottom