Saddle Selection

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Durhamlad

Hello All,
I have always wanted to cycle but injuries to my coccyx and isthmian are has been an issue. As soon as I sit on a saddle both sides of my lower hip (isthmian) causes pain. Any ideas as to what I should be looking for I want to road cycle.

sidevalve

Über Member
You need to try and identify exactly what causes the pain, ie saddle too narrow, too wide or just wrong shape. Try going to as many bike shops as you can [including Halfords etc] and sit on LOTS of bikes / saddles. Anything that seems ok ish get a test ride [if you can] if it's ok [remember this is a bike saddle not an armchair, it may be uncomfortable but it shouldn't actually hurt] try to find a suitable bike with that saddle or consider buying a bike and fitting that type of saddle, [many people do that with a favourite saddle anyway].Wide saddles are not ideal for the road BUT saddles are THE most personal thing on a bike, and never mind what anyone else says the saddle that you find most comfy is the saddle for you. For what it's worth I like the old fashioned Brooks B17 {which has been pretty comfy from day 1} but as I say, each to his own.

awfulquiet

Some LBSes will have a device to measure the width of your sit bones, this might help you choose one that's not painful. I think shops selling Specialized have it by default.

Other than that, as mentioned above, try as many saddles as you can?

From my personal experience, a Spesh Avatar or Milano works for me, and I just acquired a Selle SMP Avant to see if it works better.

OP
OP
D

Durhamlad

Thanks for the advice, it is a pain is the A..se from a fall I took in the army and landed on my bum damaging the isthmian. I will take your advice.

ayceejay

Guru
Sorry to hear about your problem Durham Lad that sounds really painful.
Awfulquiet those SMP saddles are mega expensive but I would be interested in your impression (critical appraisal that is):smile:

awfulquiet

Yes, SMPs are a bit expensive. Will let you know if it works for me (or you may see one for sale on ebay soon!)

Cheers,
Awfers

dharma66

Regular
How did the SMP work out? I'm intrigued by these as if I set my current saddle flat enough so I'm not sliding forwards, the pressure at the front of my perineum is so much it causes excruciating pain after 40 minutes on the turbo. So the wide split and dropped nose of the SMP saddles looks very interesting.

awfulquiet

Sorry for the delay. Didn't use it yet, as I got a new KTM, and put a Spesh Milano on it :smile:

Will install it on the Titan bike in the spring and promise to report back :smile:

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
as soon as the weather allows i will continue testing an Smp 209 lite mega expensive but surely health come first

awfulquiet

How did the SMP work out? I'm intrigued by these as if I set my current saddle flat enough so I'm not sliding forwards, the pressure at the front of my perineum is so much it causes excruciating pain after 40 minutes on the turbo. So the wide split and dropped nose of the SMP saddles looks very interesting.

Did my first ride yesterday with the Selle SMP Avant saddle, it's fantastic, no sit-bone pain, no pressure anywhere, and no numbness what so ever.

Selle SMP gets a 10 star rating in my book!

Mo1959

Legendary Member
Did my first ride yesterday with the Selle SMP Avant saddle, it's fantastic, no sit-bone pain, no pressure anywhere, and no numbness what so ever.

That's good to know. I am having major problems getting comfortable and have wasted quite a bit of money which I can't really spare trying a few. Just going to put the SMP TRK back on and try it tomorrow. Was just reading about the Avant this morning and, as it is one of the wider models, I think it would probably suit but it's too expensive for me at the moment. Must try and put a little aside and try and get one in the not too distant future.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!

That's one expensive saddle!

Makes a difference - I just purchased a Bontrager Affinity R after a measurement session and it is wonderful - my sit bones are no longer sore!

awfulquiet

That's good to know. I am having major problems getting comfortable and have wasted quite a bit of money which I can't really spare trying a few. Just going to put the SMP TRK back on and try it tomorrow. Was just reading about the Avant this morning and, as it is one of the wider models, I think it would probably suit but it's too expensive for me at the moment. Must try and put a little aside and try and get one in the not too distant future.

Maybe fleabay your old saddles/stuff to get an Avant? ChainReaction wants £175, and Wiggle says it's no longer in production...

I sold a lot of old cycling stuff to buy mine (like a bunch of Spesh BG saddles, clipless pedals etc..)

Cheers,
Awfers

awfulquiet

That's one expensive saddle!

Makes a difference - I just purchased a Bontrager Affinity R after a measurement session and it is wonderful - my sit bones are no longer sore!

Yes, but worth it imo. I've spent around £1000 in the search of a perfect saddle.. Finally found it!

Top Bottom