Saddle Setback - Waht's Yours?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jimboalee

The answer to this is nothing to do with the nose or length of the saddle. It is where your butt is most comfortable on the saddle.

Saddle manufactureres think of this and design their product so that ( the average bod ) the sit bones are in the best position when the straight line up the seattube intersects the top surface half way along the saddle ( if the saddle was the shape of a Brooks ).

A fizik Arione can be made the same shape as a Brooks if you chop off the pointy bit at the back.

I think this needs expanding on.

Saddle manufacturers are assuming the rider has selected the correct crank length and fitted the chainset on a frame with the correct seattube angle.
These two numbers are dependent on the riders physical dimensions.

Also, fore/aft positioning effects KOPS. There are conflicting versions of KOPS. Some bike fit instructions say its the very front of the knee while others say its the bony bit on the outside of the knee.
The difference between these two points on my knee is 30mm.
One set of instructions I've seen says "plumb line from the patella tendon", Eh, I'm a doctor, am I?

And to confuse matter further, drop the plumbline from the bony bit if you are a spinner, and from the very front if you are a grinder.:wacko:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
MacB - I've decided not to measure my saddle position for you because I don't see how it helps anybody to know what I am comfortable with. You don't know any of my body dimensions (other than height and inside leg measurement) and different people are more or less flexible. I have problems with my back so I changed my position to mitigate that.

One thing I will say is that the seatposts on my road bikes have setback and I have the saddles fixed about halfway down the rails. The seatpost on my MTB is inline so I have to push the saddle further back. I think that setback looks better and it must be mechanically better to have the rails centred, surely? (Mind you - the only saddle I broke was on a road bike, so perhaps not!)

OP
OP
MacB

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
Ok folks, it was curiosity not a demand to descend on your garage with a tape measure and a team of helpers. I'll try to explain my thought process, for anyone interested, and why I was wanting to get other peoples setups. For those not interested I do understand that the urge to post that, and other irrelevances, is irresistable, so fill your boots. :biggrin:

As mentioned I started out with a bike that came with flat bars, it is a Giant CRS Alliance in large which comes with an effective top tube of 596mm and a stem of approx 105mm. When I changed to butterfly bars I had to change to a longer stem due to the sweep back aspect of the bars. Then I start reading more and realise that I have my saddle far too low, was getting some lower back and knee issues. Raise saddle to a better height but didn't adjust fore/aft so still had it well back, on laid back seatpost, which had been needed to get distance to pedals when saddle was lower. Fortunately I then go on a social ride and Teef & Co sort out my saddle fore/aft after my knees start to really suffer on a longer ride. Thankfully the 130mm stem I had bought was adjustable so could accomodate fore aft movement of saddle. But I now found that a setback post was making it hard/impossible to get the saddle far enough forward and get saddle pack clamp on behind. Bearing in mind I'm aiming for 80mm of setback here, so not exactly time trial setup.

So that was realisation No1, I need to start at the saddle and work forward.

I buy a Surly Crosscheck frame 600mm TT and build up as per Giant with butterfly bars etc. No problems as lessons learned and so not wasting money on parts that won't work. Only tricky bit was the Brooks saddle and the very short rails on it and fitting a saddle pack. But we're getting there and I'm understanding more about how my bikes fit me and what impact changes have. Then I decide that I want to use drop bars. This is only after some, truly herculean, efforts at getting the controls on the sides of butterfly bars. Cue some expensive failures and much reading about effective top tubes, seat post v head tube angles, HT length and heights, stem length and angle...etc...etc....etc.

Next discovery is around geometry and why frames designed for flat bars have longer effective top tubes than those designed for drop bars.

Then I realise that a longer top tube isn't always a longer top tube as the seat tube angle impacts on the reach. That's reach as measured from the BB to the HT. I note that several manufacturers now include reach in their spec charts, Cerveloe being a noteable one. Assuming that you'll be positioning your saddle in the same position relative to the BB. Then compare two frames with the same effective top tube lengths but differing seat tube angles. The one with the steeper seat tube angle will have more reach than one with a relaxed angle, as more of the top tube is forward of the BB.

Ok, I get all that but it then led to me considering seatposts and layback/inline as, when perusing bikes, I was seeing a lot coming with laid back seatposts. I then looked at my 3 bikes and I'm using inline seatposts on all of them and the saddle is slightly forward of center to achieve 80mm of setback. The seatubes are 72, 73 and unknown in degrees, now I thought that 80mm was quite high for setback. So I was puzzled as, by my calculations, a laid back seatpost will lend itself more to a 90mm+ setback and would be impossible to achieve much less than about 70mm.

This got me thinking again, am I having the saddle too far forward and vertically raised, is it more normal to have the saddle further back and lower? AND this led to me posting a thread curious to find out what others tend to have and if there is a correlation between size, ie do taller people tend to have more setback than shorter or the reverse. Maybe some people use lower and further back on some bikes and higher further forward on others, to alter the saddle height to bar height relationship depending on use of bike? But wouldn't this effect the KOPS relationship and I thought, however you work out your own KOPS, this was meant to be optimum for nearly all types of riding?(obviously I'm excluding things like time trial setups here).

Yes I can go and get a fitting etc but that will give me the optimum setup according to whatever flavour that fitter follows. I've read enough on this to realise that there is a reasonable amount of variation in the systems. I don't really want to spend a couple of hundred quid on a fitting that uses a method not best suited for me. But how to understand which one to choose, how to interpret what they tell me and how to tweak for the future. Surely this is only achievable if you properly understand the subject, I don't want to be tweaking a stem length when it should be a saddle position, or maybe just a little bit of both.

I also know that there's trial and error and that a heck of a lot of people have used this method for a very long time. Part of trial and error is chatting to others about what works for them, why they believe it works and how they go about setting things up and measuring. Some do it by feel alone, some use every measuring implement known to man.

I could hijack passing cyclists with tape measure in hand or I could post on the web and ask for how/what/where other do it.

OP
OP
MacB

MacB

Well, the deafening silence has taught me something, it should no longer come as a surprise to me that I ended up with a career in financial analysis! I could even be approaching the anally retentive levels of boringness required to move my career in to tax accounting :tongue:

But I honestly thought that lots of people would know their saddle heights and setbacks, what do you do when you remove/change saddles, seatposts etc?

potsy

Rambler
Well, the deafening silence has taught me something, it should no longer come as a surprise to me that I ended up with a career in financial analysis! I could even be approaching the anally retentive levels of boringness required to move my career in to tax accounting :tongue:

But I honestly thought that lots of people would know their saddle heights and setbacks, what do you do when you remove/change saddles, seatposts etc?

Guess,then spend the next month adjusting til it's right :tongue:

ColinJ

Er, I went downstairs and took a look at my road bikes and found that, actually, my saddles are not set to the middle of their rails - they are both pushed forwards about 1.5 cm. I'd forgotten that I moved them because I felt that my sit bones were not sitting on the widest part of the saddles.

If your setback isn't right for you you'll either be too stretched, not stretched enough, or constantly shuffling back and forth trying to decide whether to go for a sore back, sore shoulders or a sore bum!

GrasB

Veteran

I have little marks on my seat post & saddle. If you're changing a saddle for a different make/model you'll generally find that you'll sit on it differently so it'll require some adjustment time anyway.

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...
I rec you've hooked Colin now, MacB - he's fallen for it and started measuring, next he'll be there with a plumb line and a tape.

ColinJ

I found myself hunting for a tape measure yesterday, but then thought "What am I doing, I should be riding the damn thing not measuring it!" so I got my cycling kit on and when out for a ride instead. ;)

70mm on my work bike which I have just measured Al. We're about the same size so I guess 70mm is the optimum eh!? :smile: (Rolls saddle - which is a rich man's Brooks... :whistle:)

I'll check the other bikes when I get indoors...tip of saddle to stem nut CL is 460mm - if interested (which is more or less how I judge the fit of my bikes)

OP
OP
MacB

MacB

70mm on my work bike which I have just measured Al. We're about the same size so I guess 70mm is the optimum eh!? :smile: (Rolls saddle - which is a rich man's Brooks... :whistle:)

I'll check the other bikes when I get indoors...tip of saddle to stem nut CL is 460mm - if interested (which is more or less how I judge the fit of my bikes)

See Teef gets it, he's not carelessly cruel like Colin or deliberately vindictive like 3BM :biggrin: Just as long as he does his further measuring before the red wine I should be ok!

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...
A-ha that's where you're wrong wrong wrong because I've been down the 'shed' and dutifully measured my two road bikes.

Nose to c/l BB is 45mm on the steel racer, which is a 57cm with a 120mm stem.

Nose to c/l BB is 50mm on the Planet X, which is a large frame with a 120mm stem.

Nose to c/l stem (I have 120mm because I've always had 120mm
icon_rolleyes.gif
) is the same for both at 540mm so quite stretched out.

One day when I can get around to it I'll finally get measured properly, probably at about the same time I get measured for my coffin...

Hope this helps with you scientific research.
icon_razz.gif

Top Bottom