Saddle Setback - Waht's Yours?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

redddraggon

Blondie
I thought I was inflexible with my paltry 70mm setback and 120mm stem, but then there's really tall people using the same as me on here (albeit with longer TTs)

OP
OP
MacB

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
You see, this is what's puzzling me, I've moved mine a bit to between 70 and 75mm on each bike, two with inline seatposts and I'd struggle to get it much further foward. With laid back seatposts it would be impossible to achieve these shorter numbers.

The other bike I had to switch to a 15mm laid back post due to the Brooks saddle, with inline I can only get it to 65mm, with laid back I can't quite get it to 70mm. Bloody Brooks saddle rails.

I understand if someone is using a track frame for general riding, maybe a 76deg seatpost then they'll need a lot of lay back in a seatpost. But with 73 deg, or less, for the seat tube it doesn't seem to pan out. Maybe I'll just stay confused.

By the way, 3BM I take it all back you're a gentleman amongst scholars.

GrasB

Veteran
Has anyone here realised that as you'll sit on different saddles in different places measuring where the nose is becomes a pointless exercise for saddle position comparisons.

redddraggon

Blondie
You see, this is what's puzzling me, I've moved mine a bit to between 70 and 75mm on each bike, two with inline seatposts and I'd struggle to get it much further foward. With laid back seatposts it would be impossible to achieve these shorter numbers.

The other bike I had to switch to a 15mm laid back post due to the Brooks saddle, with inline I can only get it to 65mm, with laid back I can't quite get it to 70mm. Bloody Brooks saddle rails.

I understand if someone is using a track frame for general riding, maybe a 76deg seatpost then they'll need a lot of lay back in a seatpost. But with 73 deg, or less, for the seat tube it doesn't seem to pan out. Maybe I'll just stay confused.

By the way, 3BM I take it all back you're a gentleman amongst scholars.

I have the smallest PX Ti, and I have to run a 25mm laid back post, with an arione slid all the way back on the rails to get my ~70mm

OP
OP
MacB

MacB

Has anyone here realised that as you'll sit on different saddles in different places measuring where the nose is becomes a pointless exercise for saddle position comparisons.

possibly though I have measured all of my saddles front to rear and they are the same. It's also a useful thing to know if you're trying to duplicate setups across multiple bikes using the same saddle.

OP
OP
MacB

MacB

I have the smallest PX Ti, and I have to run a 25mm laid back post, with an arione slid all the way back on the rails to get my ~70mm

Ok so I can see how that would be, the amount of setback provided by the seatpost angle is a variable that will depend on combined length of seat tube and exposed seatpost. I hadn't factored that in and can't get my head round the maths at this time of night, but thanks that helps explain at least some of it.

potsy

Rambler
Moved mine forward about 5mm today and i think I'm there now,much better on the commute.
Certainly felt like I was sat on the correct bit of the saddle and not perched on the nose like I was for the 1st few days
blush.gif

Can't believe you've got Col to fall for your wicked ways Mac,always thought he had more sense than that
biggrin.gif

See Teef gets it, he's not carelessly cruel like Colin or deliberately vindictive like 3BM :biggrin: Just as long as he does his further measuring before the red wine I should be ok!

You would have been better served had I been under the influence of the Friday Night Red as, out of interest I did measure...
All straight seatposts: Look Carbon 65mm - Selle Italia Turbomatic4. Veneto Alu (which I might have classed as the best fitting bike :dry: until ejection onto the tarmac) 80mm - San Marco Era. Planet X Ti = 95mm :wacko: (I'm blaming the Thoork saddle for that - not quite 100% in the right position yet - the right position might well be in the dustbin).

Well, I'll leave all that for my raffle accountant - have fun Al!

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...
Now this is all quite interesting these 70mm or more setbacks so I had a look at John Franklin's *doffs cap* tome last night and he suggests a 50mm setback is about right - my edition is quite old so I don't know if this number has been revisited.

I know I'm on the right size frame at generally 57 - 58cm (I'm 6' with 33" inside leg) but I can't get the saddle to c/l stem/bar measurement right, using the cubit system, unless I had say a 50mm stem or shorter top tube, which would probably mean a custom frame :tongue:

Maybe I've got really short arms, they do have trouble reaching the bottom of my pockets when I'm in the pub! :tongue:

The main thing is the set-up must be about right as I can cycle a reasonable distance without too much back ache and knee ache apart from that associated with not being a spring chicken any more.

jimboalee

Quite correct.

The IMPORTANT part of the saddle is where your 'sit bones' contact.

AND... I can guarantee to everybody that on a 50 mile ride, you WILL without realising, shift your position on the saddle more than 5mm back and forth.
You will sit differently when climbing and you will shift back on the saddle when freewheeling.

Asking other riders their measurements IS pointless. Do they have the correct crank length and correct seat angle?

Seat rails are to allow for cranklength choice and seat angle discrepencies.

The optimum distance between pedal axle ( at point of maximum torque application ) and Hip ball joint is only obtained after extensive ergometer testing.

KOPS using the little boney bit is a good approximation and works with most riders.

Top Bottom