Saddle slipping back on carbon seatpost

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
robjh

robjh

Legendary Member
OK, but I can honestly say that you should not waste too much time with that post.
Get a proper one with two bolts - one fore, one aft - (not adjacent) and a strong aluminium head.
You're probably right but I'm going to give the (carbon/grinding) paste a go first.
Looks like @Smokin Joe and @Pale Rider have agreed that grinding paste would be best (though from their avatars I have trouble telling them apart ^_^)

You're probably right but I'm going to give the (carbon/grinding) paste a go first.
Looks like @Smokin Joe and @Pale Rider have agreed that grinding paste would be best (though from their avatars I have trouble telling them apart ^_^)
One smear of paste is probably as much time as you should waste - max.

Just go to a garage of sorts and ask for a dab. I'm sure they will gladly give you some. Take a match box or small plastic bag or such.

OP
OP
robjh

robjh

Legendary Member
Having looked at the prices of new carbon seatposts I will definitely be trying the carbon paste option first!

However, the weight gain from alloy to carbon in lots of cases is only 10 to 20g - ie. less than an ounce.
Is there any reason not to put an alloy seatpost into a carbon frame?

Having looked at the prices of new carbon seatposts I will definitely be trying the carbon paste option first!

However, the weight gain from alloy to carbon in lots of cases is only 10 to 20g - ie. less than an ounce.
Is there any reason not to put an alloy seatpost into a carbon frame?

No. But as with any seatpost, you have to remove it often, give it a wipe and return it, preferably after giving it a smear with assembly paste (carbon paste), not grease. This is to prevent fusion between post and bike, which is a problem with all dissimilar frame/seatpost materials such as steel and alu, alu and carbon, carbon and alu etc etc.

Aluminium is the best material for a seatpost by far.

S-Express

It is possible that you simply have a poorly-designed seatpost. Selcof is now a Planet X sub-brand and while their stuff is usually functional (this seatpost clearly isn't), that's about as far as it goes.

For instance, if those washers only fit one way, then there is no technical reason why the ribbing would be on the outside face, rather than the contact face. Put it in the spares box and replace it with another post.

Top Bottom