Saddle Sore Spots

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vickster

Legendary Member
When you say slightly left do you mean rotate the seat post? This would only work with a round post.
Yes, and indeed...which most bikes do have :smile:

OP
OP
Marchaugh

Marchaugh

I used to get really bad pimples and sores after long rides. Experimented with lots of different things, but have eventually settled on a generous layer of something called "2Toms Buttshield" (I kid you not) before a ride instead of chamois cream - found a stall at the RideLondon Expo one year giving out samples of it and got on really well with it, so have bought a supply of it online since. Then afterwards I use Germolene, but only on those areas that are actually sore (e.g. not a liberal application), as this is both antiseptic and also has a mild anaesthetic, which can be very welcome.
Interesting, I've ordered some Buttshield and some Germolene so will give them a try and see how it goes

Mark pallister

Get waxed, lasts much longer than shaving and no spiky regrowth.
If it's just one side, you could try angling the saddle fractionally towards the other. I on,y get soreness on the right, probably how I sit as that's the dominant leg, eased by pointing the saddle fractionally to the left
You may have one leg longer than the other
You can get cleat shims to even things out
I use bag balm on any little sores and sometimes instead of chamois creme

OP
OP
Marchaugh

Marchaugh

You may have one leg longer than the other
You can get cleat shims to even things out
I use bag balm on any little sores and sometimes instead of chamois creme
Yes, that seems like a very likely cause. My dad has one leg longer than the other by 10mm and has custom orthotics for his normal shoes. I also have orthotics for my normal shoes and I think I remember the Poditrist saying I had one leg slightly longer than the other. That would explain why I only get sores on one side and may also be the reason why I get knee pain at the front of my knees on longer rides. The knee pain normally starts on the opposite side (sores are on left) to the sores after about 2.5 hours depending on the intensity.
If the sores happen on my left side which leg would be the shorter one?

vickster

Legendary Member
Yes, that seems like a very likely cause. My dad has one leg longer than the other by 10mm and has custom orthotics for his normal shoes. I also have orthotics for my normal shoes and I think I remember the Poditrist saying I had one leg slightly longer than the other. That would explain why I only get sores on one side and may also be the reason why I get knee pain at the front of my knees on longer rides. The knee pain normally starts on the opposite side (sores are on left) to the sores after about 2.5 hours depending on the intensity.
Why not get orthotics for your cycling shoes?

OP
OP
Marchaugh

Marchaugh

Why not get orthotics for your cycling shoes?
I have but they haven't got any spacers underneath them, they are both the same height. I think the cleat spacers idea is a good one, I think I'm going to get some and experiment.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
However, if the sore spot is seated underneath the skin with no signs of surface damage, the sore is from ischemia. Dead tissue thanks to a lack of blood in that area. Saddles pushing against sit bones prevent blood flow in a very specific spot and causes the tissue to die and a boil of sorts to form. The only remedy here is to drain the boil, not ride for a while and then gradually build up mileage until your arse has hardened enough to deal with the problem. There is no topical solution for that type of boil.
Isn't this best avoided by standing on the pedals (at least slightly so you can shuffle around, if you don't want to do a full stand) every few miles while coasting to let the blood flow back to the bit you're sitting on? This seems to be something which may have been forgotten now that cycling isn't a skill taught by one generation to the next as much.

But I suspect more spots are due to either thick padding on a badly-fitting saddle or shorts (or both :rolleyes: ) pushing too hard not on the sit bones, or simple infection from a sweaty bum area possibly made worse by blocking the wick-away effect of modern shorts with a thick cream.

Mark pallister

Left leg I would have thought
It’s rubbing as it’s stretched
Try some cleat shims

kenmiles

Interesting, I've ordered some Buttshield and some Germolene so will give them a try and see how it goes
Genmolene is now re-branded as Bepantiseptic First Aid Cream
"The antiseptic action of this cream – formerly known as Germolene – helps prevent infections and it also has a soothing local anaesthetic to numb pain. It’s available in pharmacies and grocery stores, €4.49 for 30g."

PaulSB

Legendary Member
I would agree this is most likely caused by an ingrowing hair. It's something I have suffered with in the past but not for some time. These have the potential to develop to the extent that minor surgery is required - I know been there twice. I can't recall the medical term.

Like @12boy my approach is to treat it physically which I guess goes against most advice I guess. This hurts but only for minutes, lance with sterilised needle, press around the area to drain until bright red blood appears, was thoroughly and flush with shower. Usually sorted in 24/48 hours.

When touring I use loads of Sudocrem which I feel is by far the best barrier cream. If I get one when touring I try to sit on it all day - the pressure drains the area and once drained the discomfort is relieved.

Reading around once suggested hairier people and those who shave are more likely to suffer.

Levo-Lon

Guru
I have a proficient spot removal device..
However she will only do mine:okay:

I've known several women in my life who love doing this..is it the pain it causes me or the thrill ... I think the demonic laugh on seeing a monster says it all :laugh:

I find I get them at the crease of where your leg joins your groin, more so on the right side. Often worse at the start of the season when I am picking up the miles then it normally calms down.
Well Here's a turn up somebody who suffers the same as myself though mine is on the left side I put that down to my left leg being the predominantly stronger of the two legs I've been cycling since 2013 since retirement and I have suffered with it all the time ( tried three different saddles and found the fizik 134mm R3 Antares K:blush:UM rails seemed to suit best But unlike the above My sore has become "a real Pain in the arse" Of late this last two years Using sudocrem at the moment to try and will perhaps give it a rest for a couple of day though I'm gutted as all this good cycling weather is passing by I have just turned the saddle point slightly to the rright to see if that makes any difference anybody got anymore thoughts on this other than get a proper bike fit Well I can't afford that So anything else please post Thank you

Top Bottom