Saddle tilt!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
mybike

mybike

Grumblin at Garmin on the Granny Gear
After taking saddle off to take photos & replacing it the problem hasn't reoccurred on a subsequent ride (tho' the rider complained the saddle had gone down).

raleighnut

Legendary Member
If the photo in your avatar is correct then the clamp was too high up the seatpost, it should go right down to the shoulder on the post to be able to clamp, then you set the height by raising the post in the frame, not by raising the clamp.

Dirk

If 6 Was 9
After taking saddle off to take photos & replacing it the problem hasn't reoccurred on a subsequent ride (tho' the rider complained the saddle had gone down).

Which would suggest that the saddle clamp was not seating on the shoulder of the seat post in the first place.;)

tyred

Legendary Member
As an aside, why is it impossible to buy a decent clamp of this type any more? I have bikes from the 30s with perfectly functioning saddle clamps yet I've bought a few new ones from ebay, LBS and Halfords and they never seem to last more than a few years before they start to slip.

OP
OP
mybike

mybike

Grumblin at Garmin on the Granny Gear

At last I can post piccies. This is the view of the bracket on the post (yes, I know the nut needs replacing). As far as I can see it was securely fastened, but I suspect the serrated(?) portions had somehow not locked together properly. Hopefully it won't tilt again. I know on the bike I'm riding, my son's old Tesco special MTB, I moved the saddle back because I was finding I was sitting further back. There appears to be room to slide the saddle backwards if needed.

I must confess, being much out of date, I thought the seat posts were standard, an unwary purchase taught me otherwise.

sreten

Hi,

This happens if the saddle is simply adjusted and tightened, the serations don't lock.
A good bump and it moves and is no longer tight and starts to tilt.
It is important to wiggle the saddle as you tighten it to lock.
It looks better with the rails below the bolt IMO.

rgds, sreten.

Top Bottom