Saddles for Prostate related Issues

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

AlanW

Guru
My apologies if this question has already been asked before, but a quick search on here didn’t find an answer. Neither too did a search on the web either, plus there seems to be so many conflicting reports if cycling long distances does have an adverse effect on the prostate or not.

But either way I am looking to give a new saddle a try to see if it makes any difference or not. If what I have read is to be believed, then a saddle with a large cut-out in the centre “could” reduce any pressure on the undercarriage causing the need to pee? This is the one that I have in mind to try – HERE

Does anyone have any personal experience either way as to if it did or didn’t make any difference?

Last edited:

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
My apologies if this question has already been asked before, but a quick search on here didn’t find an answer
I think you mean prostate, not prostrate, which might explain why.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Oh and I don't have experience of a prostate problem but I'm extremely sceptical about cut-out saddles in general because if you are putting too much pressure on the centre of the saddle, then fitting a cut-out saddle seems like it would result in excessive pressure along the edge of the cut-out. As that edge is a smaller area, the pressure will probably be higher and it's just a bit of a lottery whether you'll have anything critical under that line.

A saddle with a more extreme central dip may be a good idea, but probably not a cut-out. Also, if you can figure out why you're putting pressure on the saddle centre rather than the rear pads, remedying that should be the top priority IMO.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
My apologies if this question has already been asked before, but a quick search on here didn’t find an answer. Neither too did a search on the web either, plus there seems to be so many conflicting reports if cycling long distances does have an adverse effect on the prostate or not.

But either way I am looking to give a new saddle a try to see if it makes any difference or not. If what I have read is to be believed, then a saddle with a large cut-out in the centre “could” reduce any pressure on the undercarriage causing the need to pee? This is the one that I have in mind to try – HERE

Does anyone have any personal experience either way as to if it did or didn’t make any difference?
I don't know that saddle but I have been having the same problem. There's a range of Selle SMP saddles (I've got a ''hybrid'' but it's a little too wide for my bones). There's also ISM. I just got a PM 1.1 which is narrower but I haven't had it long enough or ridden on it long enough yet to be able to give a full verdict.

Whereabouts are you based if you're interested in giving either a try? I'm in SE London.

Saddles have NO effect on that gland at all. Your body is supported by the iliac crest and the muscles of your glutes, leaving no pressure on the prostate whatsoever. This fearmongering was perpetrated in the 1990s by Specialized and their "Dr Minke" who apparently sat on his brain which in turn put pressure on his prostate. The rest of us with normal anatomy can ride bikes for years and decades with no effect at all. Slotted saddles often produce more problems than they solve. Go for a ride and flush afterwards with beer.

Top Bottom