Sadle Height

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Willow

Bought new bike at weekend and man in lbs put saddle to right (?) height. It feels a touch high to me feel like I couldn't put feet anywhere near floor if I needed to - yes I know brakes are the main stopping mechanism. I thought it was a case of one foot on pedal and the other should be able to touch floor relatively easily is that not the case. Now to be fair the major test took me unintentionally though some very muddy woods and the mongoose 450 isn't designed for that and I frequently found myself having to dismount (well practically falling off - was longing for my giant back at that moment) - I went out with no map and followed my nose! Unfortunately I couldn't adjust the height when out as the back light fitting was in the way - had the tools but went without glasses so couldn't see to do the job!

So what is the view on saddle heights please.

Tynan

Veteran
for road at least, as high as feels safe, tippy toe on the ground really

RedBike

It sounds as though the saddle is in the right place.

As for the woods, you'll find that the tyres make a difference. If you're going to ride this sort of trail (and I don't see why the Mongoose shouldn't cope) then a set of cyclo-x mud tyres will make a difference.

doyler78

Funny thing is that I have just bought a road bike and my old hybrid I had set the height myself and it took me weeks to get to the height that felt right. Anyway got a bike fitting done for my new bike and I couldn't believe it when my saddle height was exactly the same to the mm. I can't really explain how I got there. It just felt right when I got there. My saddle was set too low.

As to the system that seems to give the best starting point it seems that your knee should have a 25 degree when at the bottom of the stroke. A little impractical perhaps. I got a goniometer after I had set my saddle right after I had read about that and it was 26 degrees as far as I can remember. Anyway it was close enough to give me confidence that I had set things up right.

OP
OP
W

Willow

sounds like I just need to get used to it then. To be fair on the road it didn't feel so bad. Thanks for replies

Joe24

More serious cyclist than Bonj
I can only just tip-toe when on the saddle on the road bike. When i stop i come off the saddle, or if i'm lazy go up to a curb and stay on the saddle with my foot down.

doyler78

Joe24 said:
I can only just tip-toe when on the saddle on the road bike. When i stop i come off the saddle, or if i'm lazy go up to a curb and stay on the saddle with my foot down.

That sounds to me like your saddle may be a little low. I can't reach the ground with my feet whilst sat on the seat.

OP
OP
W

Willow

crumbs - fall off to get off syndrome that sounds like. I just had to stop up the middle of a railway bridge as my boys past me the other way it was very hard to get off going up hill - felt like I was stuck! Perhaps for me having a gents bike makes it slightly more difficult as I can only just straddle the crossbar

doyler78

suzi said:
crumbs - fall off to get off syndrome that sounds like. I just had to stop up the middle of a railway bridge as my boys past me the other way it was very hard to get off going up hill - felt like I was stuck! Perhaps for me having a gents bike makes it slightly more difficult as I can only just straddle the crossbar

;) Yeah it does sound like that doesn't it however it is perfectly natural to do. You just stand up on the pedals and you will high over the saddle, move your posterior forward and you will now be over the top tube where you can now safely put your foot on the ground without any problem. The bike frame may be just a little big for you if you have can't stand flat footed on the ground and have a inch clearance over the top tube however you should still be okay because when you come down off the bike to put your foot down you will naturally lean the bike sideways in the direction that you are putting your foot down and that will give you a bit more clearance anyway.

Going uphill and trying to stop does provide more of a challenge as you have to push yourself forward more against gravity but you will soon get your technique right once you have practised a few times. With your feet unclipped it is unlikely that you will actually fall off the bike however your coming off the bike just might not be as elegant as you would want but as I say practise will sort that.

OP
OP
W

Willow

Foot on pedals sounds like it will do it, will practise tomorrow. Have sometime to sort out as can't cycle to work until ds2 has done his cycling proficiency and can cycle to school. Phoned to see if I could get him course in summer hols. Council couldn't run courses because they needed a base so rather cheekily I offered them the school I work at for free so I can get son on course!!!

doyler78

suzi said:
Foot on pedals sounds like it will do it, will practise tomorrow. Have sometime to sort out as can't cycle to work until ds2 has done his cycling proficiency and can cycle to school. Phoned to see if I could get him course in summer hols. Council couldn't run courses because they needed a base so rather cheekily I offered them the school I work at for free so I can get son on course!!!

;):biggrin: That's the way to go. To be honest the council run the schools so why they couldn't have thought of that themselves is a bit worrying but good on you for sorting it.

Top Bottom