safe bike parking in Bath

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

runner

Guru
I have become somewhat paranoid leaving my bike in a city centre (after I saw some thieves assessing my stainless steel bike) However after buying a gold star lock and taken out appropriate insurance I feel a little better...So I am meeting someone in Bath on Saturday and the question is where is the best and most visible location to lock my bike to...there must be loads of good places in Bath....any suggestions would be greatly appreciated

Jonny

Über Member
I've found the cycle stands in front of Bath Spa station to be fine (near ticket office entrance), very visible.

vickster

Legendary Member
As above, for any city, choose a busy high traffic area. I'd use a D lock for the rear and front. Making sure there's minimal space between the lock and stand. Use a cable for saddle or take seat post with if worried about that. You could even take a wheel with you

As above, for any city, choose a busy high traffic area. I'd use a D lock for the rear and front. Making sure there's minimal space between the lock and stand. Use a cable for saddle or take seat post with if worried about that. You could even take a wheel with you

Sensible suggestions, I wouldn't bother taking wheels with me if they were easily secured, QR seat posts really should be bolted on and thus don't need additional cables, a seat secured with a cable is no harder to remove with wire cutters than it is to unscrew a hex bolt. If someone wants to nick (parts of) your bike, there's nothing you can really do to prevent a determined thief. Just don't make it easy. You can only really deter opportunists, insurance is your best bet against the determined thief, assuming secure parking is out of the question. I always lock front and rear wheels on my bike using two locks, but when nipping to the shop I risk leaving the front wheel unlocked because carrying two locks, or a bulky cable isn't always practical for quick stops. Longer periods of the bike been unattended might warrant two locks, or one lock and a cable.

Top Bottom