Safe Passing Distance signs in North Wales

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I think those directional signs have saved a few tourists from some very sharp corners on our highland roads.
When did y'all get so soft on tourists? I'd expect you to put this one up and have done with it:

Attachments

• warning-sign-darwin.jpg
    warning-sign-darwin.jpg
    16.1 KB · Views: 2
Would have re-surfaced about 20 metres of road, possibly. That'll make a huge difference.
Well that level of expenditure shows how committed the council are to road safety.

Reactions: mjr

Slick

Guru
Cycling to work some days each week, mostly on cycle paths and roads closed off to cars :smile:
Noticed all of my close passes have been very near to home.
Last 2 weeks, 2 passes from the same (professional) taxi driver :laugh:
One from a boy racer and one from a young lassie, just shook my head :dry:
Myself and Mrs Slick were out Monday for a spin which turned into a bit of an explore, which we were both loving until a couple of wrong turns took us onto a stretch of road that we usually try and avoid, and didn't have to wait long to be reminded why. In a 40mph zone, 2 wee screwballs were obviously racing and overtook someone travelling at the speed limit as if they weren't moving heading straight for us as if we didn't exist. Mrs Slick was pretty rattled but we pushed on only for a quick succession of cars to try and run over the top of us then finally overtake on a blind bend, much to the disgust of the oncoming traffic. Not long after, 2 cars came belting round a gentle left hand bend so fast and so close Mrs Slick is convinced neither even saw us. The final insult came almost immediately I signalled nice and early and moved into the right hand turning lane when the car behind passed us on the left then swung in at the last minute to turn right before us, almost side swiping me then actually hitting a traffic island with quite a high kerb. Mrs Slick doesn't believe me when I told her that is unusual, she thinks I go through that every day. :eek:

Slick

Guru
When did y'all get so soft on tourists? I'd expect you to put this one up and have done with it:
I think it was when they started dying that it really came to a head, bad for business you see. We even have a few electronic ones to really get the point across.

Or how much money they have to balance out their other priorities!

There are one or two pressures on their budgets these days.
Well then they would have been better off not embarking on gesture politics. They are just jumping on the lockdown cycling bandwagon, and like that bandwagon all cycling will be forgotten in another 2 months once the bad ( worse) weather arrives.

OP
OP
Rusty Nails

Rusty Nails

We remember
Well then they would have been better off not embarking on gesture politics. They are just jumping on the lockdown cycling bandwagon, and like that bandwagon all cycling will be forgotten in another 2 months once the bad ( worse) weather arrives.

Because obviously nobody cycled those roads before the lockdown, and nobody will after it, when all cycling will be but a distant memory. :wacko:

Reactions: C R
Because obviously nobody cycled those roads before the lockdown, and nobody will after it, when all cycling will be but a distant memory. :wacko:
Exactly. If it wasn't worth doing before lockdown then it is just gesture politics pandering to the temporary, and soon to be forgotten, cycling boom.

I'm glad we agree

OP
OP
Rusty Nails

Rusty Nails

We remember
Exactly. If it wasn't worth doing before lockdown then it is just gesture politics pandering to the temporary, and soon to be forgotten, cycling boom.

I'm glad we agree

smiley-face-yawning.gif

Ajax Bay

Guru
Unfortunately with the speeds that most drivers get away with on roads like that, 1.5m is a close pass.
However fast the drivers might be going, a 1.5m distance pass cannot reasonably be described as a close pass. That's almost the width of a [Edit: a Ford Fiesta (1.75m)]. There's absolutely no point being 'Oliver Twist' about it.

Last edited:

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
However fast the drivers might be going, a 1.5m distance pass cannot reasonably be described as a close pass. That's almost the width of a car. There's absolutely no point being 'Oliver Twist' about it.
1.5m is "almost the width of a car"? I didn't think you drove a Smart fortwo (1.65m). A Mondeo is 1.85, over a foot wider. The "mid-size" Honda Passport is 2m. The notorious Range Rover Sport is 2.1m.

And actually, on the pictured road, there's every point asking for more: to give 1.5m clearance, they need to be at least partly in the other lane, so they need it to be clear of oncoming traffic, so they might as well go completely onto the other side and give me the whole lane. So the signs should say something like "CHANGE LANE FULLY TO OVERTAKE CYCLISTS"!

Top Bottom