Safer riding device

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
Its not clear if the Mayor's office have signed up to the initiative or if they're just suddenly being bombarded with I assume something of a generic missive from the same email address each time.

Fingers crossed that it helps make a difference.

TVC

I don't live in London, how is the Mayor going to help me?

Seriously, that is surely just a placebo button, you imagine it is making a difference when really it isn't, so you feel better.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
I'd at least suspend judgement. More than likely it'll all come to nothing, but who knows? It is, whatever else, real data, of the kind politicians, civil servants, journalists and the like do sometimes notice and even act on.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Well yes, but the data doesn't mean anything.
Well, yes, but it does. It means that a cyclist in that location has felt 'nervous, unsafe or frustrated'. Get a cluster of them and there's a case for saying 'is there anything we could do to make this place less threatening to cyclists?' Whether anyone will do that is another question, but it does at least offer the option.

OP
OP
ozboz

ozboz

Guru
It has identified that the Cycle Superhighways do seem to be safer , f this pilot scheme is succesful , and Councils take note and take action its got to be a plus , I can think of other ways this tech could also be useful ,

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
But those maps show different data.

Why are people so determined to piss on an initiative that is clearly well meant and which could actually have beneficial consequences, and improve life for cyclists?

What does it matter? Why are you asking? Why (earlier) were you sighing?

If nothing else, this shows that people are trying to raise awareness of the fact that bad stuff happens to cyclists in London, and more of it happens in some places than in others. Why is that something to sigh about, or seek to denigrate?

Seriously. I'm baffled.

newfhouse

Resolutely on topic
What does it matter? Why are you asking?
This device allows users to report... something ill defined. Nervous, unsafe, and frustrated mean different things, don't they? My unsafe might be comfortable for you; her frustration at being held at lights might be his opportunity for a breather. So far there are 2000-odd geo-tagged data points from 500 LCC members that, on the evidence so far, show nothing other than that the users were at certain places.

The scheme is promoted by a manufacturer of absurd, expensive devices that are claimed to improve safety but really just reinforce an unnecessary fear of cycling. LCC is helping them, which is shameful but not surprising. There are many things that could and should be done to improve the urban experience but this is not one of them, in fact it is unhelpful.

My sigh, above, was shorthand for "here we go again."

Top Bottom