Safer Streets Bill (Scotland)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
I feel the 20mph zones do not work without enforcement.
Regularly on my rides I get hooted off the road on 20mph zones, some with added speed bumps.
My housing scheme, like the surrounding built up streets, are 20mph, still, drivers race through.
While, a stretch of the local dual has been made 30mph with speed cameras: I have no problems cycling on it now.

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
There is concern that the Safer Streets Bill is needing our support in order to get it through parliament.
I'm seeing the benefits in one town where the lower speed limit signs have already been unveiled.
(Although I doubt if offenders would be prosecuted at this point!)
https://greens.scot/back-the-safer-streets-bill
Who will enforce it, down our way we have so many boy racers, they even put loud exhaust systems on there cars, you can hear them coming form miles away. No police around to stop them.:wacko:

ISA

You're right, guys - introducing signs only 20 miles/hr limits without a means of enforcement is quite unrealistic. Indeed, it's probably dangerous, as expectations may change ...

But help is on the way - as you may have noticed the EU has mandated that all vehicles be equipped with Intelligent Speed Assistance by 2022(?) which will help drivers easily to remain within speed limits. Unfortunately, our "caring" governments have been incredibly slow to legislate, despite the facts that ISA has been a mature technology for many years now, and despite its promise (see the Road Safety Framework to 2020) to promote lSA by the end of 2014. We still haven't heard a squeak - and most of our MSPs probably still haven't heard about it.

So, let's hear it from you guys! Write to your MSP NOW.

classic33

Leg End Member
You're right, guys - introducing signs only 20 miles/hr limits without a means of enforcement is quite unrealistic. Indeed, it's probably dangerous, as expectations may change ...

But help is on the way - as you may have noticed the EU has mandated that all vehicles be equipped with Intelligent Speed Assistance by 2022(?) which will help drivers easily to remain within speed limits.
Unfortunately, our "caring" governments have been incredibly slow to legislate, despite the facts that ISA has been a mature technology for many years now, and despite its promise (see the Road Safety Framework to 2020) to promote lSA by the end of 2014. We still haven't heard a squeak - and most of our MSPs probably still haven't heard about it.

So, let's hear it from you guys! Write to your MSP NOW.
What'll happen with cars that are calibrated in a different scale?

Trials where UK vehicles(mph) were used in Ireland(kmh) had a few hitches.

Top Bottom