Safety glass

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bonj2

why bother with windows? that's just complicating matters imo.
but if you must, inch thick glass is probably quite expensive - but also heavy, and therefore the join between the glass and the wood is going to be weaker than the glass itself. So choose something pretty light and cheap but shatterproof - all you really need is for it not to shatter .

Globalti

Legendary Member
Perspex will be the best choice, it's cheap enough that you can replace it if it does go cloudy and it won't shatter unless it gets a really heavy blow. Safety glass is just ordinary glass, which has been heat treated to ensure that it shatters into chunks ather than sharp shards.

I would be more worried about somebody nicking the bikes out of my new shed.

Noodley

Rigid Raider said:
Perspex will be the best choice, it's cheap enough that you can replace it if it does go cloudy and it won't shatter unless it gets a really heavy blow. Safety glass is just ordinary glass, which has been heat treated to ensure that it shatters into chunks ather than sharp shards.

What he said...I have just ordered a shed as well (old age confirmed) and will just get perspex. Mind you, my kids can kick a ball straight :laugh:;)

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Laminated glass is a possibility if you want glass. It doesn't break up due to a film in between two layers. Or wired glass for security?

Mr Pig

Safety glass is more expensive but it's not too bad. One thing to remember is that it shrinks slightly when they toughen it so it can be out slightly size wise. I fitted safety glass to our kid's gang hut.

The other thing you can do is fit very thick glass. Even 10mm glass will be a lot stronger than the nasty crap usually fitted to sheds and if you go above that window will be very hard to break.

If you have clear glass then anyone can see what is in the shed so may be a security issue.
Assuming you want the window for light not for the view, why not get "cloudy".

If you dont need to see through it then I would get the polycarb stuff they use for conservatory roofs. Easy to cut, it is very strong will withstand sports easily and is easy to get hold of and easy to cut with a saw. Also it is good for insulation.

Rigid Raider said:
I don't know much about glass or sheds but that would be my fear too; infact I'd rather have no window and a light inside instead.

Globalti

Legendary Member
....or fit glass and then back it up with an obscuring plastic film, which will hide the shed contents and keep the glass together if someone smashes it.

Night Train

Maker of Things
Laminated glass is cheaper then toughened.

Any glazier can supply you with a piece of laminated glass from stock as they can cut it. If you go for toughened then they have to order it in and it is loads more.

Top Bottom