Who needs health and safety

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
I agree to a certain extent as per section 7 of the HSWA 1974, but even your last example definitely would be prosecuted because of lack of supervision as happened fairly recently in Grangemouth.

The windfarm story is about 15 years ago and if there had been prosecution I would have heard about it as my son worked doing the same job. They were on call and expected to attend to malfunctions at any time.

If it is possible to have a lighter note there is the true story of Harry S. who lost the end of a finger in the engine room of the small passenger only ferry MV Loch Nell. The H&S man from MacBraynes duly arrived and they went down to the engine room.
“How did this accident occur?”
“ Easy I just put my finger in this small hole in the side of the engine like this”. Oops.
He now has just lost another finger tip.
I knew him well and he told this story against himself.

Slick

Guru
The windfarm story is about 15 years ago and if there had been prosecution I would have heard about it as my son worked doing the same job. They were on call and expected to attend to malfunctions at any time.

If it is possible to have a lighter note there is the true story of Harry S. who lost the end of a finger in the engine room of the small passenger only ferry MV Loch Nell. The H&S man from MacBraynes duly arrived and they went down to the engine room.
“ Easy I just put my finger in this small hole in the side of the engine like this”. Oops.

I didn't know Harry, but I knew George who lost his right arm on the bow door hydraulics. :eek:

Slick

Guru

Also, I'm assuming it was a fatal, which means there is always a prosecution.

I'm actually quite surprised I can't remember it, as I was contracting on a number of those sites at that time.

OP
OP
biggs682

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
I watched a real last night where they were repairing a crankshaft that had broken in half , need to find it again to work out how they actually did it

oldwheels

Legendary Member
Also, I'm assuming it was a fatal, which means there is always a prosecution.

I'm actually quite surprised I can't remember it, as I was contracting on a number of those sites at that time.

I think it was the site above Taynuilt but I may well have got the time scale wrong. The years run into each other and things are very often further away than I think.

Slick

Guru
I've got industrial deafness and awarded £2000 in 1989

Nice, might try that one myself. :whistle:

Much the same in construction and oil and gas, and if I'm honest, I played my part in that, but I've just put in an enquiry into one of those no win no fee shysters after @numbnuts post.
So I contacted a firm and a very nice young guy contacted me this morning to take my details and dig a bit further into the exact circumstances of my condition and work history. I got a call a few hours later from a very nice young lady who is going to take on my claim on a no win no fee basis. I only did it because of this thread, so fingers crossed. 🤞

Drago

Legendary Member
You're welcome Slick.

Now, about me fee... ;)

Gwylan

Veteran
I recall being in Marrakesh a number of years ago and was in the farthest reaches of the souk where they were manufacturing things. I was astonished to see kids holding two pieces of metal together with their feet whilst welding the. No visor, or any other kind of eye protection. They simply closed their eyes and did short bursts.

Wait until you see the tannery. Skip the abbatoir tour though.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Often also because it slowed them down so they earned less money. Just look at the building industry.
My dad learned the hard way...

He worked for George Wimpey in the 1960s/1970s in the pre-'health and safety gone mad' days. He had been up on some scaffolding fitting some window frames, then needed to go off somewhere else. Rather than walking the boards to a ladder at the far end of the building, he clambered over the guard rail and jumped down. Unfortunately, he had not noticed that directly below was a length of timber with a 6" rusty nail sticking out... The nail went straight through the sole of his boot, through his foot, and out through the top of his boot! :eek:

His workmates failed to get his foot free using a claw hammer - they ended up having to use a crowbar!

It made his eyes water just a little... :whistle:

Top Bottom