Salary £neg - how do you neg?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Speicher

Vice Admiral
Most of the jobs I apply for have a structured salary range, but I have found recently that an increasing number of jobs say "£neg". I hope I am correct ;) in assuming this means negotiable not negligable.

So if for instance I apply for a job that I consider would pay £x per hour (talking in per hour as opposed to per annum, as the posts are mostly part-time) what happens? Do they offer a salary? or do they ask me what I am prepared to work for? Do I ask for £x plus one, and leave room to negotiate, or say straight £x and strongly resisit lowering my asking salary?

I presume that a company would take the most appropriately experienced person, rather than whoever offered to work for the lowest salary?

It is further complicated by the fact that recently adverts have just given the briefest of details, rather than supplying full details of a vacant post. So it may not be until an interview that the full job description comes to light. Also the time between a job being advertised and the closing date seems to be getting shorter, in this economic downturn. Can anyone offer advice on this.

Find the market rate, adjust according to your skills, adjust again according to the competition and ask for that plus a bit. Keep it straight, don't be coy and be clear what you want whilst leaving some room for negotiation. It's a pretty inexact science I find but if they want you they'll pay it.

Speicher said:
Most of the jobs I apply for have a structured salary range, but I have found recently that an increasing number of jobs say "£neg". I hope I am correct :ohmy: in assuming this means negotiable not negligable.

So if for instance I apply for a job that I consider would pay £x per hour (talking in per hour as opposed to per annum, as the posts are mostly part-time) what happens? Do they offer a salary? or do they ask me what I am prepared to work for? Do I ask for £x plus one, and leave room to negotiate, or say straight £x and strongly resisit lowering my asking salary?

I presume that a company would take the most appropriately experienced person, rather than whoever offered to work for the lowest salary?

Personally, I wouldn't apply for a job with a negotiable salary for exactly this reason - IMO they should be looking to employ an experienced person who can do the job, and in that case, I see no reason why they shouldn't state the salary range commensurate with the skills they are seeking.

Speicher said:
It is further complicated by the fact that recently adverts have just given the briefest of details, rather than supplying full details of a vacant post. So it may not be until an interview that the full job description comes to light. Also the time between a job being advertised and the closing date seems to be getting shorter, in this economic downturn. Can anyone offer advice on this.

Again, this isn't playing fair in my book. It would put me off applying if I couldn't obtain the full job description up front. I think you're entitled to ask for it as it has direct bearing on the salary you'd expect.

OP
OP
Speicher

Speicher

Vice Admiral
Thank you both for your comments. There is one job recently advertised that is very local, and three days a week. Armed with great caution, I might proceed very carefully to find out more about it.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
£neg - be careful....maybe mention at the end, maybe not.....usually commensurate.

See what they ask about your current salary - if they know it, then leave be... can be negotiated later, but check if it's for a similar job... ?

OP
OP
Speicher

Speicher

Vice Admiral
The post is with a very small local company. It appears to be four days, six hours a day. They want a secretary/admin person.

Current salary, tricky one that, as I am not working currently. :ohmy:
The post could be filled as it was on a website that seems reluctant to put closing dates on the posts. ;) Yes, alarm bells are ringing, so I shall proceed with caution.

Noodley

Phone them up, ask if the job is still available and ask how much they are willing to pay. If they still arse about and say it is negotiable tell them they probably can't afford you but at the same time they can't afford not to hire you as you are the ideal person for the job. Then ask if they might reconsider discussing pay...:ohmy:

OP
OP
Speicher

Speicher

Vice Admiral
I have e mailed them to ask if the job is still available. They say apply by e-mail, and they do not mention CV. Which to my shame I have not got, as all the posts I have applied for recently, required an application form to be completed.

On the subject of jobs, a local Children's Hospice wants a Deputy Manager, three days a week. The salary is very low, but if it is so low, surely they do not expect to get a high flying Manager? As it is a Hospice, then I would think that attitude, compassionate and understanding nature would count as much as vast experience, or what do you think?

Danny

Legendary Member
The hospice won't expect to get a high flying manager. They may be hoping to find someone good who is prepared to work for a low wage because of the kind of organisation they are, or perhaps someone experienced but who is now retired and wants a part time job.

However most local charities struggle to attract good people for the sort of wages the are able or willing to pay, so if you are interested I think you should have a go.

OP
OP
Speicher

Speicher

Vice Admiral
The local Hospice does at least offer an Application Pack, and therefore a job description etc. I think I will persue that one. Working weekends and Bank Holidays etc does not bother me, and possibly they need extra hours when the Manager is absent.

Thank you all for your advice and encouragement.

Salary negotiable.. isn't that a bit like Mrs Doyles tea in father ted.. go on go on go on go on gawan gawan you will you will yawil yawil yawil....
Seriously state your salary needs ..and negotiate from there. if acceptable then do the deal.. if not well then don't.. Kinda gets interesting when its nearly what you want so therefore go for other terms and conditions.. car/lunchbreak/time off in lieu/overtime/ health insurance / christmas or performance bonus / holiday pay / pension contributions/ subsidised meals .. luncheon vouchers

Top Bottom