Salford cycle roundabout

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PK99

Legendary Member
Please tell me this is an April Fool Spoof:

1671631665112.png

Last edited:
Unfortunately not.

“After extensive consultation with members of the public, cyclists and groups representing people with a wide range of disabilities and visual impairment, the roundabout was created to provide the safest crossing solution.”

Really baffles me that they reached that conclusion.

https://www.salford.gov.uk/your-council/news/salford-unveils-roundabout-for-cyclists/

D

Deleted member 26715

You just have to wonder what these people are really thinking, I maybe doing them an injustice but to me they do not have any concept of how to spend people's money wisely, it's not theirs, it's a bottomless bucket, at some point surely they will wake up to the fact it's not.

Jody

Stubborn git
"After extensive consultation"

I'd love to know what the consultants are being paid and how much this improvement cost.

OP
OP
P

PK99

Legendary Member
"After extensive consultation"

I'd love to know what the consultants are being paid and how much this improvement cost.

I'm just guessing, based on local experience, but odds on that the Council has a Cycling Advocate and a ringfenced pot of money then can only be spent on cycling infrastructure.

Jody

Stubborn git
I'm just guessing, based on local experience, but odds on that the Council has a Cycling Advocate and a ringfenced pot of money then can only be spent on cycling infrastructure.

Shocking waste of money.

I bet very few use that as intended.

OP
OP
P

PK99

Legendary Member
Shocking waste of money.

I bet very few use that as intended.

I would certainly ignore it as either a pedestrian or cyclist

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
When you think of all the consultation fees this must have cost and its still a nightmare. All they had to do was fly to Denmark and talk to any town planning department. They would have got a reply that was cheap and it would work.

Oldhippy

Cynical idealist
There in lays the stupidity @steveindenmark the model has proved effective in so many countries and just involves a bit of cooperation and you get a model that works perfectly. This country for some reason is so inept these days at very simple fixes. Very sad and no wonder the UK is such a shambles now.

Brandane

Legendary Member
I'm not familiar with the location, but to me it looks like a case of a solution looking for a problem.
Some overpaid nobber trying to justify their existence?

Petrichorwheels

can't help wondering if it's clearer at wheel level.
The eye in the sky shot gives you all the instructions at once, which of course you would never get when walking/cycling.

Jenkins

Legendary Member
I've seen this on a separate thread - what's wrong with a simple crossroads or a small circle of white paint to make it a mini-roundabout?

Reactions: mjr

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Please tell me this is an April Fool Spoof:

View attachment 671864

Which is why I never use cycle lanes unless my life depends on it (such as avoiding a motorway, etc).

I wonder if the consultation was at all like the road improvements that occurred near to me a few years ago? We visited the residents information/consultation meetings about the road/pedestrian changes being made to the local bypass/duel carriageway that passes the town. We commented on the road plans and were told there would be a phase 2 to the project at a later date to include adding cycling infrastructure to the facilities. Guess what?

The cycling bits were done without further consultation and have resulted in a poorly thought out layout that is effectively unusable and ineffective for most users and has actually reduced cyclist safety. A waste of tax payers money but probably ticks the boxes for council green travel planning/provision?

Top Bottom