Salt and pepper frozen chips anyone ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Mayo and chips, made for each other!
Countries such as Belgium, Holland, Germany, Italy and even yes France acknowledge this truth to be self-evident and we Brits should get into step with Europe on this, it's the way forward!
I agree but I suspect most Brits would prefer Salad Cream.

DrummerSteve999

I agree but I suspect most Brits would prefer Salad Cream.

Im trying to purchase your bike friday cycleops...please contact me

icowden

Veteran
Haven't tried the Aldi version but the M&S version was voted as rubbish by all of my family. They just didn't crisp up very well.

Haven't tried the Aldi version but the M&S version was voted as rubbish by all of my family. They just didn't crisp up very well.

I have had that problem with lots of different frozen chips

the basic Tesco ones I have in the freezer just end up soggy when done in the air fryer
Tesco FInest are OK - as are the equivalent Aldi ones

Cheap over chips can be really rubbish!

icowden

Veteran
Cheap over chips can be really rubbish!
Agreed. We had a few weeks of getting Hello Fresh and I discovered that chips are really easy to make. Just chop 2 or 3 white potatos up into chips (we have a thing that does this by smashing the spud through a sharp lattice) then chuck them onto a baking tray, sprinkle with a little olive oil, salt and pepper, toss the chips using a spatula then put in the oven on 180 for about 25 mins. Works a treat.

Also works for carrots and other root veg. For the carrots I add honey and toss after about 10 minutes of cooking.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Mayo, Salt, Pepper on Chips.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Agreed. We had a few weeks of getting Hello Fresh and I discovered that chips are really easy to make. Just chop 2 or 3 white potatos up into chips (we have a thing that does this by smashing the spud through a sharp lattice) then chuck them onto a baking tray, sprinkle with a little olive oil, salt and pepper, toss the chips using a spatula then put in the oven on 180 for about 25 mins. Works a treat.

Also works for carrots and other root veg. For the carrots I add honey and toss after about 10 minutes of cooking.

Hang on, you had to subscribe to hello fresh to discover that a chip is just a different shaped roast / fried potato?

I tried making chips from scratch using potatoes (obviously) in the air fryer
turned out limp and soggy

which is strange because I made roasties in it with no problem - maybe I need to try again

Dadam

I tried making chips from scratch using potatoes (obviously) in the air fryer
turned out limp and soggy

which is strange because I made roasties in it with no problem - maybe I need to try again

I do them in ours, turn out lovely. Best if the potatoes are suitable, Maris Piper or similar. Also soak the chips in water and rinse to get rid of excess starch, then pat dry. Then shake them a bowl with a little oil plus salt and pepper. Then about 15-20 mins at 200 depending on thickness. Shake/turn a couple of times during cooking

icowden

Veteran
Hang on, you had to subscribe to hello fresh to discover that a chip is just a different shaped roast / fried potato?
No, it had just never occurred to me to make my own oven chips. My wife subscribed to Hello Fresh. We stopped after a few weeks and realising that quite a few recipes were just really basic ideas. It is convenient to have everything packaged and measured though.

Top Bottom