Salt

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Brains

Legendary Member
We go through so little salt in this house that last year we had to replace our packet. the last one cost 17.5p from the Co-Op, the 0.5p coin was discontinued in 1984, so at a rate of about 300gms per decade I guess the kilo we bought last year should see us through to about 2040 or so.

It's the same with Sugar, a half pound bag lasts us about 3 years or so, depends on how many builders we have in.

Levo-Lon

Guru
Loads of black pepper and a pinch of salt..

but as you say Rich..why do they salt the food so much...
chef's ...spose if it tastes bland they've failed ..

PK99

Legendary Member
Whenever I watch cookery programmes, the chefs always put way more salt into dishes than ever do. In fact it has taken me a long time to out any in at all in many cases.
Am I/Have I been missing out on an essential flavour enhancer?
I made some beetroot mash recently, for the firat time, which was sensational (no, really) once I'd 'seasoned' it á la celeb-chef.
Salt in food gets a bad press generally so waddya fink?

http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2014/jan/28/experts-use-salt-in-cooking-why

Red17

Veteran
Salt in food gets a bad press generally so waddya fink?

Like a lot of things there seems to be conflicting views published fairly recently there that its actually that bad, or bad at all.

I love the taste of salt though and am always smothering things in salt - I find myself having to add a bit extra to some food where the manufacturer has taken it out like some crisps, or when the mrs bought low salt baked beans.
Nothing like spring onions dipped in a little pile of salt.

Probably on my way to an early grave, but prefer that to saltless food.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
I'm with Gary Rhodes - seasoning is the single easiest and most effective way to improve the taste of pretty much anything you cook. But yes - in moderation. If the end result tastes salty, you've overdone it. Unless it's chips, of course.

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...
Can't abide too much salt. Not one for salt on chips either. xx(

image.png

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
I did a cookery night course a few years ago and the salt that the chef was having us put in as we were making many dishes was a real eye opener. I try to be a bit more sparing when I cook from scratch but too little and the same dish can be very bland.

I live Heinz baked beans but really do pick up the salt tang in them more and more these days.

Top Bottom