San Fransisco

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

franniepan

Hi

I'm new to this forum. Is it all Europe based or is there anyone out there who has cycle toured in San Fransisco or knows of any good cycling resources?

I'm visiting my cousin who lives near Sacramento and I'm flying into SaFra international. So any pointers would be great.

Thanks
Franniepan

robgul

Legendary Member
I've cycled a bit in and around San Francisco - other than the Golden Gate and round to Sausalito and Tiburon it's all very built up - I've driven to Sacramento from SF and my recollection was that it was pretty flat and boring [Although with some amusement - I was driving along beside a river, with a levee, in a Chevy]

To me the real issue with cycling in the US is for a lot of it the massive distances you need to cover getting from place to place . . .and in some parts the drivers are aggressive. Riding on 5th Ave in New York is fun!

Rob

Debade

Über Member
I have not ridden in SF but I have a cousin who rides there all the time and commutes. It is considered the 2nd most bicycle friendly city in the states according to one report. The coastal highway is a place I want to ride. I have done part of it but not around SF.

There are a lot of touring cyclists. Hwy 1 is the route from S. America to Alaska. I think you will love it. But as Robgul said, do not underestimate the distances.

Last edited:

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
Folks tell me to cross Golden Gate Bridge and then take 37, which is sort of bikeable by American standards, but you are still looking at about 85 miles there.
There is a thread:
http://www.bikeforums.net/northern-california/360958-san-francisco-sacramento.html
What is not stated is that San Francisco, and much of California at this point, is crazy hilly.
Much of this route would not be too bad by California standards.
Topos:
http://www.topozone.com/california/
Pretty breathtaking, this part of the world. Get around San Francisco a bit. Chinatown, Nob Hill, Mission and the Mission District, Alcatraz, and the like. Lots to see here. Sacramento has a nice statehouse, among other things.

Last edited:
OP
OP
F

franniepan

Great, thanks. Helpful advice re distances and I dont mind boring as am heading for exiting times once I arrive at my cousin's place.
I've joined bikeforums.

Top Bottom