Sand on my chain

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
If you wipe the chain after lubing - as I said in my earlier post - that'll leave a light film of oil on the chain.
If any sand sticks to that, then it'll be easy to wipe it off. Lube wipe lube wipe wipe ride wipe.
I really didn't think it was as esoteric as all that...

bpsmith

Veteran
I'm afraid it does. Wax based lubes are just as sticky - if not more so - than oil based.
Then it would be defeating the object!

The Dry Lube that I use doesn't remain sticky. I always clean a dry thoroughly, then apply a drop on each link at least a few hours before. Definitely not stickier than Wet Lube, without question.

Either I've not explained The Method well enough

It has been repeated my times by others as well. It does give you a clean chain and it does not accumulate dirt as much. I don't think there are any arguments there. I have followed it but eventually found it to be time consuming and unnecessary and the dry lube needs to be replenished often. It also has to be carefully squirted as the viscosity does not aid capilliary action as much as normal oil.

I now do quick wipes and use normal chain oil. For long runs, I pay more attention to the wiping and add normal chain oil.

or mutha farkers ain't read the farking document.

Because you want the oil inside on the bearing surfaces, and a light film outside to prevent rust.
The nature of the
or mutha farkers ain't read the farking document.
I read the "document" and it is based on false presumptions. The entire argument is based on the fact that washing it removes the oil from the inside and that somehow it is difficult to replace. It reads like a Lux adverts from the 1970s - Clean your face with something that doesn't remove the natural oils etc etc.

If you want to clean your chain, clean it and oil it. Oil immediately spreads inside by capillary action, a very well understood phenomena and an easy one to prove.

If you don't want to clean your chain, give it a nice wipe with nappy wipes infused with extra Aloe Vera and ylang ylang oil.

If you wipe the chain after lubing - as I said in my earlier post - that'll leave a light film of oil on the chain.
If any sand sticks to that, then it'll be easy to wipe it off. Lube wipe lube wipe wipe ride wipe.
I really didn't think it was as esoteric as all that...
This really doesn't make sense. Firstly, it ignores the fact that oil inside will migrate to the outside. It is impossible to keep a chain wet inside and dry outside. Further, a light or heavy coating of oil will trap equal amounts of dirt. The amount of dirt that can be trapped is limited only by the surface area of the chain and that is constant, wiped or not.
Yes, if you keep on wiping, eventually the chain will be oil-free but that's also an unlubricated chain. Hence my comment that if you want a clean chain, wash it and ride.
It is no secret that lubrication prolongs a chain's life. On a motorcycle there are two chains. One inside the engine that drives the cam and one outside that drives the rear wheel. The one on the outside lasts 3000km if you are lucky. The one inside lasts as long as the engine, because it runs in filtered oil. Unfortunately we can't run our chains in a bath of filtered oil but the next best thing is good lube and regular washing - a complete and deep wash that removes all grit.

Top Bottom