Sandals for Cycling Reccomendations

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

united4ever

Über Member
Flat pedals so could also be regular sandals that happen to suit cycling. Any recommendations?

Ideally not super expensive but would pay more if really worth it.

Commuting into an office and wearing shoes and socks all day in this weather is no good for my feet so want to feel the wind between my toes on the commute.

I guess you want a tight fit to minimise movement and a bit more protection/straps than most sandals offer. With a very firm sole also to transfer energy to the pedals.

Sharky

Guru
You can get them with spd cleats!

Sharky

Guru
A few years ago a much older rider and an ex pro (will just call him Mr Smith), forgot his racing shoes and rode the evening 10 riding in sandals. Anyway, Reg caught me easily and went onto record a respectable (24 or 25 minutes) time for the 10 miles.

andrew_s

Legendary Member
With flat pedals, any sandal that attaches securely to your foot will do.

I've come across reports of people doing quite major tours - for example Lachlan Morton did a sizable part of his solo Tour de France ride in EVA Birkenstocks with the front strap cut off, or the ultralightcycling blogspot chap did a 100 cols/3500 km tour round the more mountainous parts of France in Crocs.
Personally, I'd go for something with a strap arrangement like these https://www.johnlewis.com/geox-u-terreno-grip-sandals-black/p109927169

For SPD sandals in the UK, there's only the Shimano SD5 (bolt-on plastic cleat slot cover), or the Exustar SS503/515 from Spa, which I don't like because of the neoprene panel covering the whole top of the foot under/between the straps.
I'd probably go for the Ragsters from the USA though (which used to be available in the UK as the Exustar SS501).

Besides foot ventilation in warm weather, the other advantage of sandals is that skin is waterproof, and they don't soak up the water like shoes do, so in wet weather you just wear bare feet, and the feet and sandals dry off quickly.
Contrary to what you might expect, bare feet is no colder than normal cycling shoes & socks. I'm generally OK down to zero before I get the sealskinz out.
Don't forget the sun lotion on your feet.

Lee_M

Guru
I'm sure there's no danger of it actually happening, but I couldn't ride in sandals as I've got visions of losing my toes in an accident.

Probably too many years motorcycling allowing my imagination to run riot

vickster

Legendary Member
I'm sure there's no danger of it actually happening, but I couldn't ride in sandals as I've got visions of losing my toes in an accident.

The ones I linked have covered toes

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy

Sandals with a toe box prevent bashing the toes if your feet slip.

To the OP, have a look at walking / sports sandals. Karrimor do a range, around £50, depending on how much you are hoping to pay.

Flat pedals so could also be regular sandals that happen to suit cycling. Any recommendations?
Depending on the length of your commute and your relative comfort this applies......

With flat pedals, any sandal that attaches securely to your foot will do.

I do most of my bike riding in sandals - whatever happens to be cheapest along the way.

I have, however, added toe-straps to my flat pedals to be used in the wet to prevent slippage.

There are wonderful feelings to be experienced riding through water and you can develop interesting tan lines on your feet ^_^

Paired with wool socks (sandals and socks??!!!) I'm comfortable to pretty low temperatures.

Alternatively, you could consider a light pair of trainers - the ones that are more mesh than anything. They allow feet to breathe as well.

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
I bought these things from Asda a couple years ago. Brill for riding in. I tend to throw a bit of talcum powder in the soles to keep my feet from sticking. About £20 I think.
PXL_20230615_085156113.jpg

T4tomo

Legendary Member
My friend hopped on the back of my old tandem in a pair of "toe peg" flip flops for a pub ride. We had to emergency stop going down a hill when I got a call from the back "whooaah I lost my flip flop"

Definitely not recommended.

OP
OP
U

united4ever

Über Member
Top Bottom