Sandwich and Fish & Chip Expedition to Kent - 12th September

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Seeing as

a) I'm 50% Kentish, as my mum was born in Dover
:eek: I like the seaside
c) We missed out on Fish & Chips on the last expedition to Kent

I was thinking about another trip to the Garden of England, but this time cheat a bit and get the train out there.

Seeing as many already know Whitstable from the excellent FNRttC, I was thinking of starting the ride from there, by getting the 09.03 from London Victoria, then head out across to Sandwich, and then up the coast to Ramsgate, and then basically cycle along the sea wall all the way around the sea coast through Broadstairs, Margate to Reculver just outside Herne Bay and then pootle back to the station at Whitstable.

The intention being to find a nice place for fish & chips somewhere around Broadstairs.

50 odd fairly easy miles with about 1,000 ft of climbing. The mileage may increase a bit, if I spot there's something interesting to look at slightly off route - like a plane. :wacko:

The more astute amongst you will realise that to a large extent this mirrors the ride posted in the latest issue of the CTC magazine!

This will be a social ride at an easy pace, no-one left behind (unless they eat all the ice-cream), etc etc.

This will also be posted on YACF.

Any takers?

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Would love to do this but unfortunately will be out of the country.

The Viking Trail is a great route, you could easily extend from Reculver (very good cafe there btw) to Whitsable.

OP
OP
Flying Dodo

Flying Dodo

It'll soon be summer
Roll call time.

Me
User10571
PippaG
Kats
Wowbagger
her_welshness
Auntie Helen
saoirse50
Sergeant Pluck (possible)

Likely route is here.

56 miles, and only 1,600 ft of climbing & descending, to a maximum altitude of 269 ft!! So if you want to go up & down insanely steep hills, the Cheam & Morden Surrey Hills ride would be better suited for you, but if you want a casual pootle, this will be your cup of tea. I'll even promise to try and stay off the big ring!

I'll be doing a recce ride this weekend, either Saturday or Sunday, although I may ride out from London and do lots of miles, if anyone else wants to join me! I'll also be going over the route from Whitstable immediately following the FNrttC on Saturday 5th September (I don't think anyone else will be mad enough for that though)!

OP
OP
Flying Dodo

Flying Dodo

It'll soon be summer
DJ said:
would love to join you if that's okay will have to check my work schedule, and let you know!

No problem.

Uncle Mort said:
It sounds lovely but I'll be nowehere near Kent then! Where are you getiing your fish and chips by the way?

Probably somewhere on the front between Ramsgate and Broadstairs. I'm assuming there must be one or two fish & chip emporiums along there.

topcat1 said:
I can join you this sat if your still going but i can't make the ride on the 12.

Sorry Dave, it'll be this Sunday now for the recce, as that was when User10571 is free. If you're still available, there will be a secret rendezvous point somewhere along the FNRttC route!

Arthur

Comfortably numb and increasingly fixed.
Flying Dodo said:
Probably somewhere on the front between Ramsgate and Broadstairs. I'm assuming there must be one or two fish & chip emporiums along there.

Although I've not tried it out since last winter, this place in Broadstairs did a cracking cod & chips.

jesus.jpg

Living next door to the messiah probably helps - I've heard he can do miracles with a bit of fish.

Top Bottom