Santander Bikes Experiment Survey - 3 minutes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Dear all,

Please, could you spare 3 minutes of your time completing a survey regarding an experiment with public bike-sharing systems (i.e., Santander Cycles)?

This is for an MSc thesis project at University College London.

http://www.smartsurvey.co.uk/s/santandercycles

Best regards,

Mod Edit: as pointed out a few posts below, the survey is only for people who have hired a bike of this kind at least once.

Last edited by a moderator:

rugby bloke

Veteran
Completed. I'm a regular user of Boris Bikes (sorry, cannot get round to calling them Santander cycles !). Best of luck with your research.

D

Deleted member 26715

We're sorry but you don't qualify to answer this survey. Thank you for your time.

OP
OP
S

suveyingstudentUCL

Sorry, I forgot to add that the minimum requirement is that you need to have used one of the bike-sharing schemes around the world atleast once.

Can't seem to edit my post, otherwise I'd add it to the top.

Thank you all for your responses!

Mod note: done it for you! :okay:

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
S

suveyingstudentUCL

[QUOTE 4406845, member: 45"]The first question asks whether I've hired a bike from any bike-sharing system. It's not clear whether your subsequent questions are aimed solely at Boris-bike use or include other hirers.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for your response.

The survey doesn't specify a particular city because the problem of redistribution exists in all public bike-sharing schemes. However, since I am based in London and recruiting participants only in the UK, the examples are more geared towards Santader Cycles.

Hope this helps.

OP
OP
S

suveyingstudentUCL

[QUOTE 4406854, member: 45"]I've done the survey. I don't get it though. If I arrive at my destination and the rack is full I'll take the bike to the nearest rack with spaces. Incentives won't affect this behaviour.[/QUOTE]

I am more than happy to have a chat about this via email or private messages on here if you would like.

fimm

Veteran
It is a pretty short survey.
(Bear in mind that all these student surveys are for the student to learn about running surveys, dealing with data, presenting the results, blah. The content of the survey isn't that important.)

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
The survey doesn't specify a particular city because the problem of redistribution exists in all public bike-sharing schemes. However, since I am based in London and recruiting participants only in the UK, the examples are more geared towards Santader Cycles
You probably should rephrase some of the questions to be less specific to London. Even in the UK, there are other hire schemes.

That was actually one of the better surveys posted on here recently!

KneesUp

Guru
You probably should rephrase some of the questions to be less specific to London. Even in the UK, there are other hire schemes.

That was actually one of the better surveys posted on here recently!
Yes - there is one here in Sheffield, and that's in the North for godsake!

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I used a scheme yesterday and decided to answer this survey now to find it's currently closed.

No idea what the questions were but I didn't find it a doddle, and the stands were full, ending up with a phone all to the system, various problems such as the lock not opening and having to go to another dock when all I wanted to do was go into the hospital where I was trying to visit! And no obvious ways to comment on the bike the fact I felt it could do with a bit of an adjustment in the gears. And docks not in the right places.

KneesUp

Guru
I used a scheme yesterday and decided to answer this survey now to find it's currently closed.

No idea what the questions were but I didn't find it a doddle, and the stands were full, ending up with a phone all to the system, various problems such as the lock not opening and having to go to another dock when all I wanted to do was go into the hospital where I was trying to visit! And no obvious ways to comment on the bike the fact I felt it could do with a bit of an adjustment in the gears. And docks not in the right places.
But apart from that was it any good? :smile:

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
And no obvious ways to comment on the bike the fact I felt it could do with a bit of an adjustment in the gears.
It's a crude comment but you can press the red spanner button when you dock and turn the saddle backwards. I expect they check the gear adjustment as part of the usual maintenance check.

And docks not in the right places.
Ah, now that's mainly thanks to various groups objecting to having feeelthy cycleeests anywhere near them, including some NHS trusts IIRC. Occasionally, I think it's because they're worried about a flood of people leaving major interchanges like King's Cross and all heading to the same racks, so they put them a short distance away in several directions so that different destinations and walking speeds spreads the load a bit.

Locking faults are rare and been resolved by phone on the two occasions I've suffered them.

Top Bottom