Saris Bones on a Ford Focus (with diddy spoiler)?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Nomadski

I Like Bikes
Saris say the Saris Bones 2 bike rack that I used on my old Astra is compatible with current model Ford Focus's, but it worries me more than a little with the two straps going up over the minny rear window spoiler.

Anyone have a Focus and use one of these with no issues, or anyone have any alternative rear mounted bike rack suggestions?

*Original spoiler picture replaced as the model I am looking at doesn't have vents in it*

FordFocus0514(6).jpg

Last edited:

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Are they going up or through the spoiler? I've a Bones 2 on my Saab convertible and they spoiler doesn't seem to impact the straps.

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
It will fit a 63 plate Fiesta, which is a similar design. The top straps go either side of the brake light at the top of the mini spoiler and clip in on the crack above it.

Edit: can't remember exactly if the straps go over the top lip of the spoiler or not but it definitely fits ok. Not sure if the Focus is the same design but suspect it is quite similar.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Nomadski

Nomadski

I Like Bikes
It will fit a 63 plate Fiesta, which is a similar design. The top straps go either side of the brake light at the top of the mini spoiler and clip in on the crack above it.

Edit: can't remember exactly if the straps go over the top lip of the spoiler or not but it definitely fits ok. Not sure if the Focus is the same design but suspect it is quite similar.

I have Hugger Straps that I used with the Astra.

saris-hatch-huggers.jpg

They go inside the vehicle and the straps come out of the gap at the top of the rear window, then come down to the Bones unit.

I just don't know if the pressing down force would be a problem for the mini spoiler.

OP
OP
Nomadski

Nomadski

I Like Bikes
Are they going up or through the spoiler? I've a Bones 2 on my Saab convertible and they spoiler doesn't seem to impact the straps.

I posted the first picture I found of a focus spoiler, but it turns out the standard spoiler has no vents, so the strap would go completely over the spoiler.

(Sorry can't find a clearer pic really)

FordFocus0514(6).jpg

Flyboy

I had the saris bone 3 , used it on my 14 plate focus , it started to put wear marks in the paint on the spoiler. I went down to a local car wrapper , and bought a small sheet of there thick self adhesive anti chip vinyl , this worked fine , saying that I now drop the seats and put it in the boot.

Big Dave laaa

Biking Ninja
Saris will work. Majority of the weight is distributed onto the legs not the straps. I have use done on a Fiesta with similar rear with no issues. Tow bar mounted or roof bars probably only real alternatives.

Debade

Über Member
I am not sure if you just looked at their website but I had great luck emailing them and asking questions about the rack I purchased. They are also a great company in terms of their support for bicycling. I think there is contact information on their website.

Dave7

Legendary Member
My 12 plate Astra has a small spoiler and the Saris 3 fits with no problem. I WAS going to buy a Thule but they definitely wont go with a spoiler.

Big Dave laaa

Biking Ninja
Yes the Thule use steel straps rather than webbing, which is one reason why I opted for the Bones. I'm really impressed with it and would recommend trying one.

Top Bottom