Sat 23rd: SE London > Ditchling > Bournemouth > Stonehenge, and back.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Excellent reportage andyiloveknackeringtheremote!

Don't forget that the twilight kilometres for arallsopp were done in the company of 'Shadow of Topcat1' - that mysterious friend that pops up after a while. You did well not to interrupt.

To do list:
Manningtree properly.
Stonehenge properly.

Shall we do them both at the same time in order to save server space for reportage on CycleChat? ;)

Edit: And the bit between Andover and Basingstoke - the B3400 - is a lovely ride...I'll post a couple of pics.

Post Script...
"I'll say no now Al - I need to go to work and re-send some stuff to China, don't want to be indecisive so - NO"
Later that morning...'Ring ring', 'ring ring' -it's Al.
"Dave said he'll do the Stonehenge trip but doesn't fancy the ride to Hampshire on his own so I don't mind going for a ride anywhere if you're free..."
Me: "It's OK - I have been in and out, at my Mum's now - shall not get home until 14:15 or so, I have nothing prepared as I deffo said I would not be available - if topcat wants company to yours then he knows where I live etc...give him my number..."
Approx, two minutes later, Topcat1 "Hello - we'll meet at 14:45" - at the kebab van space, which is used as a tyre shop during the day.
This is the moment the day started to come unhenged...
Got to the hole in the wall and retrieved pizza funding in time to meet Dave who immediately had an attack of the Davys and needed a walnutbreak. Back to mine.
"Bark bark bark bark bark" - which, in Jack the Dog speak, roughly translated meant, "It's a good job you are disturbing me during the day because I like my beauty sleep and can't stand being woken up by cyclists after midnight"
Off we went.
A lovely amble to Farnborough was the order of the day, save for a young man in a BMW estate who thought it would be fun to lean on his horn for a while as we avoided the massive sequence of potholes in primary along the A30 towards Sunningdale.
His blonde passenger was obviously impressed by his prowess at beeping - but he didn't reckon on the level crossing descending...giving chase sometimes pays...
I was really polite though and explained things to him through the glass. (He didn't wind the window down - just made hand gestures...) Everyone else around had the roof down, arms resting on door ledges, listening to a fat bastard on a bike reasoning with the young man, wondering why.
To MacBludgeon's - and my back up Garmin was first class, except I had torn the corner off it extracting it from my sweaty pocket. A quick cup of tea, a tour of the burgeoning bicycle emporium 'chez Al' and we were away.
5 o'clock in the afternoon is a daft time to go for a bike ride. I mean, midnight is sensible - but....5pm?
Back to the A30, into Basingstoke and out via something called Churchill (there's Churchill something in Andover too - very popular but no cigar)
Highlight of the day - the B3400 - what a delightful ride.
jg37rq.jpg

the flintstones - this was at the front gate...the proper house is 'up the path'

3469q37.jpg

another gratuitous oil seed plant shot - I love the colour spread, sucking in the sunlight.

2qmn783.jpg

setting sun - not making stone-u-like, it looks like but the b3400 is a great ride into Andover from Basingstoke

qpi7px.jpg

My Garmin - waiting on a street corner somewhere near um...

2itrnep.jpg

"Oh my - I'm still hungry"

When we arrived in Andover, MacB led us astray and blamed it on me - which I consider a privelege - so we lost valuable seconds (1800 of them - about) in hitting the A303 and deploying true mouseketeerability in battling with the traffic towards Amesbury and then Stonehenge. Got offered lemonade and a 'Size big' Willier Mortirolo on the way also - as previously discussed. Now if the bloke had chucked the bike at me...the world might be a different place. As it was, I took on the job of fly collector as the lemonade set sticky on my suntanned skin. (Dontcha just love alliteration..?)
At sundown -6 minutes we decided to pull off at Thruxton and recce the foldable GPS. Accountants logic prevailed and we waited at the entry slip for the appearance of the intrepid ones. Dave's stomach was setting up a Doppler / shockwave boom effect by this time and if a gingerbread house had been nearby, he would have scoffed it. 'Road kill' became attractive in the twilight...
Then "Whoooooooooooooooosh!"
Shockwave, shockwave, shockwave...
Then "Whooooooooshette..!" - a nebula that was ilovebikes, in the slip - passing like there was no tomorrow (possibly wouldn't have been).
We were shaking with the cold so much by then, they probably thought we were yet another mirage - soon dismissed when their hamper was raided for sustenance.
And the return is history...another wonderful adventure for the two Andys.
Do any other CycleChat peeps have as much fun as the 'Midnight Mouseketeers' I wonder?
No lullabys needed during the latter stages. Warmth was our friend on a bitterly cold night.
And now it's today!
And we're happy, and thinking about the next...
25kio09.jpg

OP
OP
arallsopp

arallsopp

Post of The Year 2009 winner
Aperitif said:
No lullabys needed during the latter stages. Warmth was our friend on a bitterly cold night.

Ah yes... Vague recollections of having my leg prodded awake by JtD, only to find it was you. :ohmy:

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
Aperitif said:
When we arrived in Andover, MacB led us astray and blamed it on me - which I consider a privelege - so we lost valuable seconds (1800 of them - about) in hitting the A303 and deploying true mouseketeerability in battling with the traffic towards Amesbury and then Stonehenge.

Funny the tricks memory plays on you, I rmember reaching a roundabout, behind TopCat, with Aperitif leading the way in full Garminator mode. TC and I knew we were turning right, the clue being we wanted the A303 and there was one of those really big road signs saying A303 right. But our delayed reaction, as a certain person went straight over, let the G-Man get away. Dave can shout really loud, but it didn't seem to work, so we followed........................sometime later we finally got back to that roundabout and took the correct exit, despite calls from the garmin for us to 'swivel'.:ohmy:

Good write up ILB, remember you've got years to settle on a prose style but following Arallsops can only lead to madness.:biggrin:

OP
OP
arallsopp

arallsopp

MacBludgeon said:
you've got years to settle on a prose style but following Arallsops can only lead to madness.:ohmy:

Lol. No one ever called it 'style' before. I take that as a compliment:smile:

I write much like my riding style: lots of exploratory jabs down dead ends, meandering routes, diversions and sudden climbs, mere pauses where others would stop, all ending up considerably further across the page than is entirely necessary:smile:

Hey! I didn't thank you for your guidance and expert road selection on the way back. I'm sorry. Cheers for that! :biggrin:

OP
OP
arallsopp

arallsopp

arallsopp said:
...why am I still building wardrobes? Prizes to the wife for strategy though. Unpacked 4 IKEA carcasses onto the bleedin bed didn't she.... :biggrin:

"I'm helping!" says she... Yes, dear. I see.

arallsopp said:
...And I'm still building wardrobes!

Marginally OT, but breaking news fellas! I'm done!

Mammoth project for a man of my paltry DIY skills. Of course, this post is useless without pics, so here they are:
3572770823_b84ddcd6cb_b.jpg

...and just to offer a sense of scale, here's me in shot. Bear in mind I'm 6ft 2.
3572771467_d697b2eafc_b.jpg

Curtains are a bit slack.

OP
OP
arallsopp

arallsopp

Aperitif said:
Curtains are a bit slack.

;):evil::bravo::smile::bravo::biggrin::bravo::biggrin::bravo::biggrin::bravo::biggrin::bravo::biggrin::bravo::biggrin::bravo::biggrin::bravo::biggrin:

redjedi said:
The second one from the left is not level with the others.

Actually, the leftmost pair are perfectly level on the Y axis. What you are detecting is the Z axis discrepancy between the doors, allowing them to slide past each other on X, without breaking rules of the space time continuum.

Whilst the rightmost pair are of equal height, they are exactly 26.5mm shorter than those on the left, as it turns out the ceiling slopes into the corner. This was detected exactly just after I built them, requiring reconfiguration by hacksaw.

If anyone wants 6 x 25mm strips of veneered particleboard, let me know :smile:

redjedi

Über Member
Ah....I see what you mean now.

But cutting the bottoms off is just a cowboy job. You should have replaced the ceiling and made it level.

If a jobs worth doing...blah blah.. ;)

OP
OP
arallsopp

arallsopp

I am a cowboy.

...and on a (predominantly carbon and aluminium with some) steel horse I ride. ;)

I may yet replace the ceiling. Its all about finding something interesting enough to replace it with.

A 'flyover pelmet' with 20w downlighters in the centre of each door is the way to go.
Overhangs the front by, say 150mm, flush with side return, allows for discrepancies between ceiling line and the box's rigidity to be averaged out.

Housepoint factor: 10
Convincing: 10
Mouseketeerability? 4

Use MDF windowcill for double bullnose effect (Points factor +10)
Add four of these (you can remove the bezel to fit them flush etc...) and one of these...
"...ideal for seeing your clothes dearest!"

Scarper...FNRttC galore - happiness abounds. :o)

Top Bottom