Sat 23rd: SE London > Ditchling > Bournemouth > Stonehenge, and back.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
arallsopp

arallsopp

Post of The Year 2009 winner
ilovebikes said:
ahahahaha ;) i think you'll find they did not speak to each other though andy :sad:

I think you'll find they did. Its just that sound couldn't pass from their universe to ours, just as light couldn't pass from ours to theirs.

Via pizzacam, I can relive that moment that Andy succumbed to ordinariness (I'm talking ordinary Andy here, not grimace Andy :evil:)
He was sucked in by the activities of ordinary young folk, expunged from the company of old farts fellow cyclistas. (We were all pizzaed as farts at the time ;) )

Do you remember the police arriving at the hostelry next door to break up a disturbance? The lad got arrrested for 'Andover fist'. (Another accountant in the making :sad: )

2m2wa2t.jpg

OP
OP
arallsopp

arallsopp

I'd forgotten that! ;)
And to think it was to be my quote of the day:

"If I'd known it was cowboys and indians, I wouldn't have dressed as a bunny."

Can't argue with that.

"Ears lookin' at you (Billy the) kid.

Andy was on the straight and arrow...but (as topcat's photos attest) he offered up his bike to the great god disco and said "Take me, take me" (Spesh pink is so yesterday though...) -and he came back with us. ;)

iLB

Hello there
topcat1 said:

a few seconds before this i was in fact ready to smash and destroy my bike on the ground, however fortunately dave papped me and the flash brought me back to my sugar fuelled senses... ;)

OP
OP
arallsopp

arallsopp

Bless him. What a sweetie.

Even after the rescue team turned up late, 10 miles short of the arranged meeting place, in the dark, and then had the audacity to ask us for food, ILB still took the time to recreate the monument for Dave's camera. :biggrin:

Talking of cameras, mine missed the Henge too. I've never tried a handlebar mount before, and it seems ILBs headset kept pushing buttons on the display. Result was significantly shorter battery run, and it finally dying a death just after Salisbury.

Anyway, footage compiled and up at youtube here.
GPX files available on demand. Route (from GPS) at Bikehike, here

Oh, and to answer your question Martin, we approached the Thruxton slip lane at 26 and a bit miles per hour. To say we were keen to see the team would be a gross understatement. :tongue:

OP
OP
arallsopp

arallsopp

And for those with an interest in the perverse, ride profile:
3567235956_2ef4434776_o.jpg

I hope some of those spikes were GPS anomalies. My legs tell me otherwise.

The 'whoosh' of your afterburners warmed us up - I was suffering from lemonadothermia by then...and, shortly afterwards, the moth-like shillouette of ilovepunishments - tracking your rear light 'in the zone' :biggrin:

OP
OP
arallsopp

arallsopp

Traits of the Mousketeer:

1: tackles distances believed impossible by all and self.
2: gets woefully lost in tackling said distance
3: is documented by Dave, being woefully lost in tackling said distance.

:biggrin:

topcat1

vintage Mercian 2012
arallsopp said:
Traits of the Mousketeer:

1: tackles distances believed impossible by all and self.
2: gets woefully lost in tackling said distance
3: is documented by Dave, being woefully lost in tackling said distance.

:smile:
4: is always hungry

iLB

Hello there
righto here goes nothing,

i awoke at around 5 minutes past two on Saturday morning, and proceeded to stuble down the stairs, and somehow managed to put a pizza in the oven for breakfast and put the kettle on- with these tasks completed i settled down to change the PR3 on my rear wheel for a Conti GP4000 (thanks simon). Now as easy as this task may sound, it gets a whole lot more complicated when you can't find any tyre leavers, and i was eventually forced to use the battery cover of the tv remote and a coaster as improvised tyre leavers :wacko: morning fug hmm

with this done and the pizza and a second cup of tea going down nicely, it struck me that it might help if i got dressed and put some lights on my bicycle:biggrin:. in a hurry to get under way i shoved everything i needed into my rear pockets and set of for the not so sunny, not so warm Colney Hall Roundabout.

Rolling past Farnborough (Kent) and down the hill towards West Wickham i was suddenly struck by how cold - well freezing it was- having opted not to wear leg warmers xx(. Having met andy2 and taped his camera to my bars we decided that considering we had a fairly long way still to go we had better crack on, so we did :laugh:. So as we ascended hills and descended into vales, it reached a point that i was dreading the descents, windchill is a cruel mistress and it was truely freezing at times.

Now we happened upon a residential area not far out of Felbridge, at which point the ilfaited Garmin directed us not along the tarmac road, but was far more sensible in sending us down what can only be described as a dank,muddy track - and speaking of tracktors :biggrin: at was now that we had our first 'human' contact of the day, or did we? Having stopped to dismount due to the impassable nature of the muddied footpath, and then to water said footpath, two beings which appeared to be human appeared from their house and began opening their gates to tow a tractor away with them. The thing is it was like they couldn't see us, two cyclists standing not five yards from them at half past six in the morning, either this is a very common sight for them :wacko: or they were stunned into silence...

Now we continued, having recovered from a laughing fit following the above episode, and having cleared our by then mud filled cleats by stamping around on the pavement outside some poor peoples homes :blush::laugh:, and shortly found ourselves atop Turners Hill. Moving on from here, and cruising at a reasonable pace towards Ditchling, a fellow roadie came and passed us with ease- having none of this i gave chase, sat on his rear wheel for a while, and when we reached the first hill since he had passed us both andy and i passed him, just for giggles. we had to stop not long after this so that andy2 could try to work out what was causing his bikes interesting noise for the day, to no avail we continued and climbed the beacon, some faster than others :smile:. Arriving atop the beacon i had time to chat to a couple of other cyclists who were there to climb it ten times as preperation for the Alps in the summer, and eventually andy2 joined us ;). From there we speedily rolled down into Brighton, passing the speed camera at around 37mph :biggrin: and then breakfasted at the Madeira

We then continued on towards Bognor of Butlins fame, passing through several stereo typical sea side towns along the way, eventually reaching Havant, and after a 5 mile detour to find some bushes which needed watering, we found our way to an Aldi for lunch. And from here which pushed on for the third leg of the ride, next stop Bounemouth :tongue:. We swung around Portsmouth and then down into Southampton, and somewhat strangely straight into the docks there, riding past first a cruise liner, then hundreds of containers, and then a few car grave yards, notably full of unsellable Ford Focus' and and Honda 4x4's- stopping at a level crossig for 3... cranes :wacko:. Leaving Southampton we quickly arrived on the outskirts of the New Forest, which I had eagerly anticipated, however it turned out to be some what of a let down- monotonous and heavily congested, far from what i had envisaged... eventually we arrived in Bournemouth at what was probably quite a good NSLBS (Not So) - however i was far too delirious through dehydration and more interested in the water fridge in the near by Co-OP.

It was during the next part of the journey that the heat and distance started to mess with Andy2, having told me it was a mere 13 miles to his cousins house, where we were expected, and a hearty meal of pasta awaited us. What followed was the longest 13 miles of my life, as it was more like 22 miles, take a bow arallsopp who had cycled straight past his own relatives home :blush: leaving us less than 25 miles to go to Stone Henge. We carried on towards Salisbury, after a few apologetic phone calls, and as we arrived in Salisbury City centre it felt as though we were outlaws riding into town western stylee, the locals staring at us in dismay. Here we feasted on Burger King, and then pressed on towards the big pile of stones in the middle of Wiltshire, fully expecting to find Aperitif, MacB and Topcat1 lieing in wait- how wrong we were :sad:.

Upon arriving at the Henge, we settled down to await there arrival, but as the sun sunk ever lower in the sky we had to wonder where they had gotten to. A phone call informed us that they were not going to make it, and it was at this point that andy2 told me they had someone called keith with them, but this proved totally unfounded, silly andy2. So we sped down the a303 in search of some cyclists less stoned than ourselves ;), passing over what qualified as enormous climbs by that stage in the ride, and hurtling down the other side of them into the perfect darkness.

Eventually, after a few more phone calls, we happened across the remaining mousketeers, who must have- at least for a second- thought we hadn't noticed them as first andy2 then i hurtled past, intent on catching andy2 who i thought had missed them standing by the road side, shortly after this we all regrouped and celebratory cachew nuts were consumed yum :thumbsup:. The remainder of the ride is somewhat of a swirling blur, involving pizza in Andover-fist, and then the final slog through the dark and the cold towards Basingstoke and the magic van :tongue:

OP
OP
arallsopp

arallsopp

Nice work Andy. Fond memories of an excellent day.
I'd forgotten how bl33din cold it was when we set off, but am pleased to see the normal GPS rules remained intact:
- unlikely diversion down mud track... Check.
- unexpected detour through bizarre environs... Check.
And this week's new entry:
- riding past your cousins house because you forgot to tracback to that waypoint... Check!

Excellent reporting.

Top Bottom