Sat 23rd: SE London > Ditchling > Bournemouth > Stonehenge, and back.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
Glad to be of help. Might be pootling (well, in terms of speed in not effort) along there myself later on.

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
hopefully we'll see you at Stonehenge this evening, have pm'd you my mobile in case....Al

OP
OP
arallsopp

arallsopp

Post of The Year 2009 winner
21 miles to the Henge.

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
mini update, myself, Topcat and Aperitif set off a little late, about 5pm, to cycle to Stonehenge. We were going well but then suffered a garmin moment, or two, in Andover. Ended up cycling 3 miles North of Andover, then the same 3 miles back, before navigating ourselves onto route 1, the A303. After about 7 miles on this, and with 10 miles still to go to Stonehenge, we made a call to the guys. They were already there and the sunset, we were planning on seeing there, was already taking place. So executive decision time and we decided to wait on the A303 for the 2 intrepid travellers. I was particularly keen not to spend any more time on that road than I had to. The thought of belting along 10 miles of it, see some stones in the dark, and then turning around and retracing, wasn't pleasant.

So we duly met up at side of A303 and then all cycled into Andover where we found a Herbies pizza and went to town. The night was turning very cold and the Andies were both pretty tired, having completed 200 miles at this point. We then headed to Basingstoke on the B3400, a much nicer road all round. Various ideas were mooted, one being making it to my place where the Andies could bed down for the night. Then Aperitif came up trumps as usual. A quick call to his wife and she duly drove down in van to Basingstoke, Dominique I love you!!!!! We rendevouzed at Basingstoke train station and, with all riders and bikes loaded, the glamorous lady set about ferrying us all home....me first obviously.

So 75 miles for me, about 100 for Aperitif, probably 115ish for Topcat and a wopping 220 for the Andies. I have to rethink my strategy for these rides, I was bitterly cold. Think some knee warmers, thermal liners for under the mitts and a jacket/fleece would be an idea.

Had a great time and, despite wanderings, I averaged 14.32mph for the 75 miles. Considering it's not long since I passed the 14mph mark for 20 miles, and at the start of this year I couldn't break 11mph, I was delighted.

must lodge one formal complaint, and it's not garmin related, but it does concern Aperitif. I demand that he gets a quiet freewheel hub, it's driving me nuts. Bombing along, giving it my all, and all I can hear is the machine gun clicking from behind. Most unsporting to be, not only drafting the fat bloke, but to let him know you're doing it with no effort as well:blush:

Coo-eeee I'm home! :thumbsup:

What another bl00dy cold evening. It's a type of Cycle Chat Commando training, all this night riding. Big effort from the two mouseketeers who travelled rapidly down to the South Coast, along to Bournemouth and up to Stonehenge by sunset.

Anyway, it was the right thing to do and what doesn't kill you makes you...etc

As Al MacB mentions, the Herbie's Pizza Par la was welcoming. (No hot drinks in sight -2 points) There were many dishes of all shapes and sizes for all appetites...we ate our food outside whilst watching them go to the 'Life' discotheque opposite. Funnily enough, the whole of Andover was on parade in micro skirts with bare arms, fronts, backs, and the gents were sporting short sleeved shirts, open to the waist (or not fitting around...)

We had a quota of plonkers to deal with too. Losers all. :tongue:

Another laugh a minute small tour (Possibly inept AND inapt to call it a 'tourette' - but strangely...) in good company...when they were awake!:becool:

Driving to Orpington and Bromley only served to emphasise the distance travelled by the two boys on the hoods. But.

It was cold.

And I just knocked over a hot mug of tea...best clean up and make another. Follows on from the cold beer and toasted cheese sandwich - ideal breakfast.

Come on then - "Letsbe Avenue" wake up, it's morning. :smile:

Edit: And we were offered a Size XL Willier Mortirolo for the knock off price of £500 - "Me uncle gave it to me an' it's the wrong size for me, and me wanna sell it like and ebay say it's the wrong time of year to buy a bike..."

And so on...

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Well done Andys and you chaps for teaming up with them. I may be wrong but I get the impression that it was a bit chilly last night.
Above and beyond the call of duty, Ape, for your rescue mission but only what we've come to expect.
I like the tourette nomenclature - I shall use that one as one of my own in future!
" It's a ****ing mini tour, innit"

Auntie Helen

Ich bin Powerfrau!
Yes, congrats all, a marathon journey (for the van, too). Well done y'all and keep on pedalling.

Aperitif, if you find a fix for the noisy freewheel, perhaps you could share it with me as mine is as loud as a jet engine taking off... nearly.

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
Well done indeed. Completely mad, but well done :smile:
£500 for a Wilier Mortirolo? Not the brightest bulb in the box, was he? And plenty of (legit) bikes go for way more than that on eBay.

OP
OP
arallsopp

arallsopp

Post of The Year 2009 winner
Am up. Am awake? Not so sure. :smile:

Was a tour in 3 parts.

From Bromley down through Kent, Surrey, East Sussex, up over Ditchling, meeting Rich P at the Madeira, bombing along through West Sussex and Hampshire, level crossings, seeing the automotive graveyard at Southampton, row upon row of shiny roofed pilgrims, all facing the sun and praying for the economy's second coming, up to the Henge to find out rolling average for the prior 180 odd miles was still over 16mph.

Then a really cold bit (although I will concede some of that to windchill, generated as we flew East along the 303). Crazy speeds. Lights. Noises. Pizza? Vague recollections.

Then proof that miles travelled with friends are miles travelled easier. Under the care of Aperitif and The Good Lady Dominique, even the M25 seemed little effort. Boy can she pedal! That van whipped along. :biggrin:

Smiles and gratitude all round. And bed... Mmmm... Lovely bed. Pillows. Mmmmm. Zzz.

Top Bottom