Sat 23rd: SE London > Ditchling > Bournemouth > Stonehenge, and back.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
MacBludgeon said:
Health being good I might take a trip down to Stonehenge at some point. No interest in the full 250 monstrosity though guys, just quite fancy cycling to the Henge. It's about 50 miles from home for me so would make a nice trip out and back.

Anyone fancying that is welcome to join me, at my moderate pace:biggrin:(Farnborough - Stonehenge and back)

Have you done Avebury? 'henge is special. Avebury is VERY special. imo.

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
GrumpyGreg said:
Have you done Avebury? 'henge is special. Avebury is VERY special. imo.

nope, one step at a time, barring commuting and pootling with family, my entire 'adventure' cycling has been via this forum. This is a total of 4 rides and each has increased in length, 50ish miles, 106 miles, 115 miles and 167 miles. I've never been to Stonehenge, up close and personal(or as close as you get these days), so I'd like to give it a go. Avebury will be added to list of possible destinations.

I was actually pondering rides and routes the other day. I thought I'd create a square on a map, 100 miles to a side and then explore the area encompassed, by bike, over time. Taking Farnborough as the centre, then this covers the South Coast, Bexhill to Bournemouth. North to Bicester, West to Bath and East to Tonbridge. This square would also encompass the whole of Greater London as well. Now I need to sort out some decent maps to peruse, the online ones are a bit of a pain.

OP
OP
arallsopp

arallsopp

Post of The Year 2009 winner
MacBludgeon said:
I suppose we could get an idea of when the insane intrepid 2 intend to get to Stonehenge, shoudn't be more than 4 hours different to reality:biggrin:

Plan is to arrive before sunset, which I have down as 2057hrs. I'd set the possible ETA somewhere between 2030hrs, and 0030 Saturday. Any later than that, and we may have to cut a corner off ;)

Will be interesting to see how far we get, and what we do when we can go no further. Time will tell, I'm sure. Hopefully we make it back with something to post about.

Which reminds me... AndyILB.
Its your turn to do the ride report. I did Manningtree & Tonbridge you fiend.
I expect photomontage and flowing narrative. :biggrin:

MacB

so, if we left here around 2pm, that would give us loads of time for a leisurely toddle to Stonehenge. I suppose our window to leave ends at about 5pm to make it there for 2030hrs, but that could be pushing it a bit for me.

Would be quite nice to be there as you arrive and then give you a bit of company on part of your final leg, though.

iLB

Hello there
i think i can manage that andy

any chance we can mount the time lapse camera on my bars for this one?

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Arallsopp, can you pm me your mob no if you'll be 'on line' tomorrow am. If I can rouse myself from the pit I'll do my best to ride north from Brighton to meet you en route and accompany you to the coast. Is the map route your actual route or is it liable to change on the ground?

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
MacBludgeon said:
nope, one step at a time, barring commuting and pootling with family, my entire 'adventure' cycling has been via this forum. This is a total of 4 rides and each has increased in length, 50ish miles, 106 miles, 115 miles and 167 miles. I've never been to Stonehenge, up close and personal(or as close as you get these days), so I'd like to give it a go. Avebury will be added to list of possible destinations.

I was actually pondering rides and routes the other day. I thought I'd create a square on a map, 100 miles to a side and then explore the area encompassed, by bike, over time. Taking Farnborough as the centre, then this covers the South Coast, Bexhill to Bournemouth. North to Bicester, West to Bath and East to Tonbridge. This square would also encompass the whole of Greater London as well. Now I need to sort out some decent maps to peruse, the online ones are a bit of a pain.

four maps, home in a different corner of each - but mine only cover 50 miles. Great minds think alike.

up close and personal - that is the beauty of Avebury... I've sat on the stones and seen sunrise and sunset, kissed them when arriving from off the Ridgeway and huddled in their shadow during a winter squall. amazing.

MacB

GrumpyGreg said:
four maps, home in a different corner of each - but mine only cover 50 miles. Great minds think alike.

up close and personal - that is the beauty of Avebury... I've sat on the stones and seen sunrise and sunset, kissed them when arriving from off the Ridgeway and huddled in their shadow during a winter squall. amazing.

Now that's a good plan for maps, and you paint an eloquent and evocative picture, Avebury is definitely on the 'to do' list.

Davywalnuts

Chief Kebab Taster
MacB, sorry, when I said yes, I meant yes, am up for a ride to the henge, but, not tomorrow as at a BBQ party, or this sunday as last day of Premiership and Scottish Premiership! Sorry! Football, cycling, beer and kebabs rule my life! And generally in that order! lol! This exclusion for me will also apply to next weekend, and the following, but there after, a free!

redjedi

Über Member
Good luck you two nutters.

A time lapse video would be really good.

I would ride out with MacB if I hadn't had my accident this morning.

Good luck

:eek:

Top Bottom