Sat 23rd: SE London > Ditchling > Bournemouth > Stonehenge, and back.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
arallsopp.

I have just had a shufty at the map and I think you are a loony. Congratulations - looks eminently do-able. (Might mean that you have to adjust your sig line / close your CC account etc :smile: )
450km in 24 hrs = nearly 20kph average without stops.
Add in stops / shopping.
Sights to see (early part of the day - not 'in the zone' time later on...ravenous for a kebab shop etc)
Manningtreeus horribilis.
Lovely section after you have racked up about 300km, stretching from Winch. to Farnham then Guilford and on...probably be dark then so you might think you are cycling up the wall of someone's house instead of a Surrey Hill or two (Hogs Back etc) :ohmy:

Definitely do-able...just watch out for the Bank Holiday traffic on Monday!

Bon chance mes braves! (Now you know why ilovebikes Photoshopped those big bulges onto his perfect tyres...):becool:

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
arallsopp said:
Hmmm... Looks like we've picked the worst road again. Fortunately our spin down the A12 sated my demands for heavy haulage and cruddy surfaces
you're not telling us that you went down the 'new' A12 rather than the 'old' A12....???!!!
Did you know that the CTT has banned time trials on that road? After people got killed. As in plural.

dellzeqq said:
you're not telling us that you went down the 'new' A12 rather than the 'old' A12....???!!!
Did you know that the CTT has banned time trials on that road? After people got killed. As in plural.

The worst bit was the slip roads joining from the left...less worst, the expansion joints in the road. Fair old speed up in places and - as he did the tour on 'fixed' - you know why Crock's shorts suffered a blowout!

OP
OP
arallsopp

arallsopp

Post of The Year 2009 winner
Road? Oh, so that's what it was.

Looking down at what was left of the surface, it looked more like the Ocavango Delta as viewed from a hot air balloon.

...with the basket being rocked by a regular supply of 747s.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
actually as a general rule avoid all roads in west sussex which fit the format A2n or A27n unless you are feeling really really lucky

iLB

Hello there
Davidc said:
When are you planning to do LEJOG in a day then?

sunday of course :blush:

longers

Legendary Member
If I give you my mobile number can you let me know how far you go?

Just in case I need to go round the block a couple of times :biggrin:

Have a good day out :biggrin:

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
Health being good I might take a trip down to Stonehenge at some point. No interest in the full 250 monstrosity though guys, just quite fancy cycling to the Henge. It's about 50 miles from home for me so would make a nice trip out and back.

Anyone fancying that is welcome to join me, at my moderate pace:biggrin:(Farnborough - Stonehenge and back)

ChrisKH

Guru
MacBludgeon said:
Health being good I might take a trip down to Stonehenge at some point. No interest in the full 250 monstrosity though guys, just quite fancy cycling to the Henge. It's about 50 miles from home for me so would make a nice trip out and back.

Anyone fancying that is welcome to join me, at my moderate pace:biggrin:(Farnborough - Stonehenge and back)

The MacBludgeon CC Stonehenge ton was born.

Overnight then for a druid sunrise breakfast? When's summer solstice? Perfect. :biggrin:

albal

Guru
The A338 Ringwood - salisbury road is one of the most dangerous around here. Take extra care good luck
Henge is amazing.

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
Davywalnuts said:
MacB, am in for that one!

top man, we just need to agree a departure time...........I suppose we could get an idea of when the insane intrepid 2 intend to get to Stonehenge, shoudn't be more than 4 hours different to reality:biggrin:

Top Bottom