sat-nav dilemma

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

P.H

Über Member
I like to look at a big paper map in the evening over a beer, get the big picture, it might fire my enthusiasm up for a side trip that I otherwise might not have noticed. I just jot down a few pointers for the next day's riding normally.
That's pretty much what I do, except I jot down the pointers on the Etrex:smile:

BigonaBianchi

Yes I can, Yes I am, Yes I did...Repeat.
But don't such places also have very few roads? So just switch the GPS off between junctions.

good plan until you find yourself in the middle of southern Wyoming or similar, battery less facing a left or right turn decision, suffering from dehydration etc....make the wrong turn there and one may regret not having paper map.

P.H

Über Member
good plan until you find yourself in the middle of southern Wyoming or similar, battery less facing a left or right turn decision, suffering from dehydration etc....make the wrong turn there and one may regret not having paper map.
Who's talking about not taking a paper map?
Only an idiot would embark on such a trip without a backup. I'd carry a map, a GPS, spare batteries, a small compas and a spare map. But I'd be expecting to navigate by GPS, because I prefer it.

puch

Regular
Who's talking about not taking a paper map?
Only an idiot would embark on such a trip without a backup. I'd carry a map, a GPS, spare batteries, a small compas and a spare map. But I'd be expecting to navigate by GPS, because I prefer it.

Don't forget an INS.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Etrex 20 on the stem. I don't leave home without. Journey split into days and stored on it. Spare pack of AA's in the bar bag.
Map case atop bar bag for the big picture/coffee break review and bar table discussion/planning. Maps are pretty useless on the move and only show the big picture which is of flip all use when trying to decide which of three roads you need to take when the signpost has been destroyed by a motor vehicle,or the road works that closed the road mean you need to replan.

I'd +1 to the several folks recommending an Etrex 20 with a map as backup of course.

This from someone who spent years poo-pooing the things.

As for "memorising" chunks of route I can usually only hold 2 or 3 turns at best and then on the ground apparently straightforward turns/junctions can be more complex than you thought.

+1 also to the comment above about map consulting breaking your rhythm - I find that a GPS has made me "purr" along more, not in a hurry as such but overall faster I'm sure. I think that when I relied just on maps I was subconscioulsy pushing myself harder to the next junction because I knew that I'd probably have to stop/waste 2 or 3 mins there to get the map out, check it, stow it away.

With a GPS you can let the road roll gently beneath your wheels, knowing that you don't have to bother about a turn for maybe 800m, 2km - whatever its magic screen is telling you.

If you plan to use the Etrex 20 for this big trip (you didn't say when) get it ASAP and start studying it, the guidance online, using it for every trip - it takes a long long time to get the best from it.

Bodhbh

Guru
I'm currently in the map camp, but 100% get what the GPS users say about stopping and breaking rhythm on rides. Also, just come back from hols in Italy where we rented a satnav for the car and it was invaluble in getting thru busy town centres. I feigned to hate it for a week and sat grumbling with my pile of maps, but I had to admit in the end it saved an awful lot of hassle.

The problem for me is when folks start talking shop about em, my mind retreats into a world of soft flashing lights and elevator music...and when my mate starts playing with his in the pub on tour it drives me nuts. I just want something reliable with a map on it and very easy to programme A to B for the day.

If I wanted to give them a go...I'm getting that the Etrex 20 seems to be pretty much the default unit for touring (why not the 10 or 30? /edit nm answer is buried in the thread) But do I need to buy maps (for UK and EU) and how much will that set me back on top cost?

MarkF

Guru
MarkF said:
I like to look at a big paper map in the evening over a beer, get the big picture, it might fire my enthusiasm up for a side trip that I otherwise might not have noticed. I just jot down a few pointers for the next day's riding normally.​
That's pretty much what I do, except I jot down the pointers on the Etrex:smile:

Oh, looks like I am £150 up then. ^_^

andym

Über Member
The Etrex 20 is the replacement for the the Legend. The Etrex 30 is the replacement for the Vista. The main differences between the Legend/20 and Vista/30 are the inclusion in the latter of built in altimeter and compass.

The modern GPSes have a number of features that are significant improvements on the previous generation. Thes include:

- much better map rendering
- tracks stored on the memory card - so effectively unlimited number;
- multiple maps;
- number of trackpoints in a track increased
- the receiver seems to be moe sensitive but I can't prove that.

While is you already have a GPS thes may not be sufficient to persuade you to buy a new one, if you don't already have one then a current generation is the way to go unless you can get an older model for a bargain price.

The eTrex 20 does a perfectly good job of telling you the altitude and producing an altitude profile.

Oh dear the maps vs GPS brigade are back. Yawn. Time to move on guys. It's all been said umpten times and the rest of the world aren't paying a blind bit of notice. A thread about GPS/satnav? Just walk on by.

I
If I wanted to give them a go...I'm getting that the Etrex 20 seems to be pretty much the default unit for touring (why not the 10 or 30? /edit nm answer is buried in the thread) But do I need to buy maps (for UK and EU) and how much will that set me back on top cost?

The 10- is seriously defeatured - the only advantage of the 30 as I understand is an altitude meter (no idea how good it is) independent from the altitude in your maps and a compass that works when you are stationary - no need for either. Use Open Streetmaps (OSM) and you don't need to pay a thing for maps. Free.

jay clock

Massive member
It doesnt solve the battery issue, but I have two or more apps on my Android which are both 100% free and do not use data access when abroad, just the GPS. Mapswithme is one - download the app, then download each country you need (regions in bigger countries). Ideal if you just want to know exactly where you are but do not require routing. The other is NavFree - same process of download app, plus maps per country. It is more of a Tom Tom style satnav and worked perfectly in the car in Spain last week.

It has never crossed my mind that I am wasting time at junctions looking at the map - nor that it has has the slightest impact on progress.

Oh dear the maps vs GPS brigade are back. Yawn. Time to move on guys. It's all been said umpten times and the rest of the world aren't paying a blind bit of notice. A thread about GPS/satnav? Just walk on by.

I believe on other parts of the forum that they are still debating the existence of God and the possibility that our planet is warming uncontrollably - :sad: - the regular appearance of the GPS versus maps threads is a mere bagatelle in comparison to the recommend me a bike/route/destination/critique my kitlist/in praise of trangias offerings ^_^ that feature on here.

I never understand why peeps are always going about subject that return for discussion again and again, Newcomers to this forum may not have mastered finding the previous discussion and are keen to get the latest info and views on the subject and to join in with lively discussions on this forum.
I have always found that for every repeat discussion I always learn something new; more so with electronic gadgets which are evolving all the time.
For those who don't like repeat discussions, one does not need to engage with it as there are so many other threads to look at.

CopperBrompton

Bicycle: a means of transport between cake-stops
All the satnav options have significant battery weaknesses in my view, and evening if recharging every day at a hotel or campsite, getting a full 8+ hours out of any device seems an impossible holy grail.

My eTrex Vista HCx does 25 hours on two AA Eneloops ...

The maps vs GPS debate is silly, IMV: each performs a complementary function.

Top Bottom