sat-nav dilemma

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

CopperBrompton

Bicycle: a means of transport between cake-stops
A modern phone wont report a GPS signal without a mast as they rely on communication with the network to report your location
That's not the case. A GPS receiver doesn't start needing phone masts just because you put it in the same box as a mobile phone.

You can easily test this by switching off mobile data and GSM and continuing to use the GPS.

doog

That's not the case. A GPS receiver doesn't start needing phone masts just because you put it in the same box as a mobile phone.

You can easily test this by switching off mobile data and GSM and continuing to use the GPS.

my mistake - bloody hell im out of touch ^_^

edit ...Im thinking of GPS tracking..that still needs GSM im sure. You can see where you are but if you want someone else to follow your location on a platform , it needs GSM.. probably going off topic now

HorTs

Über Member
I have a 2nd hand Garmin 800 Edge and it lasts me 10-11hours constant use. I use it in conjunction with a paper map on my bar bag. If I know I'm on the same road for ages then I will turn it off to save charging it as much for the next day.

bof

Senior member. Oi! Less of the senior please
GPSs rely on statellites. Mobile phones on phone masts. There are not always phone masts in remote areas so coverage issues. Plus mobile phone batteries don't last so long and cannot be readily replaced as most GPSs can use AA batteries.

Why not laminate your cut up paper maps to make them even more durable?
I was suggesting (a little unclearly) that the the GPS be a backup. Laminating needs a laminator. Also if you have masses of map bits, they tend to get in the way as they dont fold nicely like paper does. I laminated an old AA atlas as my Lejog backup (the Extrex was my primary tool) and in retrospect I wish I hadnt bothered as they filled up my bag - I was travelling v lightweight - and I barely referred to them outside of the hotel room at night.

spen666

Legendary Member
Sat Nav's are rubbish. I got one and used it to get me to Whipsnade Zoo. Once inside the zoo, it said "Bear left". When I looked, there was a monkey there and it looked nothing like a bear.

I'll get my coat

benb

Evidence based cyclist
If you go for paper maps, then having a handlebar bag or map holder is essential. It allows you to constantly monitor the route as you ride, and really limits the delays. All the satnav options have significant battery weaknesses in my view, and evening if recharging every day at a hotel or campsite, getting a full 8+ hours out of any device seems an impossible holy grail.

My Edge 605 lasts way over 12 hours, as long as I don't cane the backlight.
You could also top it up during breaks with an external battery pack like the Pebble

Top Bottom