Saturday, 11th May. Conder Green from Todmorden (100 miles) or Whalley (100 km)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
I have one of the more creative excuses for not being able to make this ride.

The hatchback on my car is jammed in the locked position, meaning I am unable to open it to load (or unload) a bike.

The annual service and MoT is due next month, so I will get it fixed then, thereby keeping garage trips to a minimum.

Domus

Guru
I too was going to Eureka and then turn for home, but as my two mates are only joining at Eureka I changed my mind. All being well we should finally get to meet. :hello:

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I have one of the more creative excuses for not being able to make this ride.

The hatchback on my car is jammed in the locked position, meaning I am unable to open it to load (or unload) a bike.

The annual service and MoT is due next month, so I will get it fixed then, thereby keeping garage trips to a minimum.
Ha ha - that's an 'A' for effort! :okay:

I too was going to Eureka and then turn for home, but as my two mates are only joining at Eureka I changed my mind. All being well we should finally get to meet. :hello:
Aye!

Starchivore

I don't know much about Cinco de Mayo
I need to get some long rides in I think, have done a lot of running in the past year but only short commuting cycling. I'm going to skip this one (also got a family thing I should probably go to), and I'll get myself on some long rides this summer. Hope everyone has a great time.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

I'll check with SWMBO tonight that I'm free, provisionally I'm in mate.
What was the verdict?

If you are joining us, would it be for the 100-odd miles from Todmorden or the shorter 100-odd km from Whalley?

No big deal since I'm not doing the proper ride... but something just came up and I won't be able to pootle down and meet you guys at Cafe d'Lune next Saturday.
Another time then!

I need to get some long rides in I think, have done a lot of running in the past year but only short commuting cycling. I'm going to skip this one (also got a family thing I should probably go to), and I'll get myself on some long rides this summer. Hope everyone has a great time.
Okay, thanks. Watch out for the Humber Bridge ride from York, which might be the second Saturday in June; the Ribble Valley/Dales ride from Tod/Clitheroe on the 4th Sat. A 100+ miler in Cheshire in July, starting and finishing in Walkden so we can use the direct train from the Calder Valley. There will be others too...

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Yes definitely.

I was yacking to an old friend who lives in Todd last week... and there's a lot of interesting gigs on at the Golden Lion... so I may well be over there for a night this summer. Could meet for a pint maybe?
It would be so..... nice. Unfortunately, I gave up booze 7 years ago! :laugh: (Pubs seem much less interesting when TT - as everybody else gets less inhibited, more jolly, and louder, I start to get more and more irritated by them! :okay:)

A friend of mine has been to open mic nights etc. there. He usually has a good time.

I love the sign that the owners used to have outside. (I think it is run by a Thai family, which would probably explain the wording and sentiments on it...)

not-served-idiot-jpg.jpg

nickAKA

Über Member
What was the verdict?

If you are joining us, would it be for the 100-odd miles from Todmorden or the shorter 100-odd km from Whalley?

I'll be setting off with you from Todmorden Colin, however I have a fundraiser to attend after lunch for the nominated charity (The Huntington's Disease Association) that I'm doing various cycling & running events for over summer, for which this is a warm up... so I'll see how far I get! Hoping to bring along a friend or two if that's OK?

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Super! Friends are fine as long as they are happy with our modest speed. Most people take note of what I post about expected ride pace, but over the years there have been just a few here and there who seemed to think that 9.5 - 10 mph average was code for 15+ mph! :wacko:

nickAKA

Über Member
Super! Friends are fine as long as they are happy with our modest speed. Most people take note of what I post about expected ride pace, but over the years there have been just a few here and there who seemed to think that 9.5 - 10 mph average was code for 15+ mph! :wacko:

I'll TT it up tod road and get the need for speed out of my system :okay:

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

The forecast is currently looking borderline between 'quite good' and 'not too bad'; I'm hoping to nudge it towards 'good'! :okay:

Come on - dig up your garden, unearth your mojo, get your bike out, and head for Tod if you feel energetic, or Whalley if 100 miles is too much for you. This is a nice route and you will enjoy the ride. Allegedly ... :whistle:

Anyway, I'll nag you again tomorrow and we will post some reports on Sunday to tell you what you missed!

The forecast is looking pretty good now for tomorrow. A light head wind on the outward leg and a moderate tailwind for a fair bit of the return leg with a possibility of some light rain showers mid to late morning.

All systems go!

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

I'm just programming my GPS. I could probably just about navigate by memory but it would be embarrassing to get lost on my own route! (Littgull will no doubt have a copy of the route on his Garmin, but I like to have my own means of navigation.)

As Brian suggests, the wind is supposed to pick up and swing in our favour later. Hopefully, any showers will be occasional and light.

Although it probably won't be that sunny, it will be a long day out so I reckon I had better use my factor 30 (I burn easily). So, if I look ashen-faced at the start, don't worry, it will be due to sunblock - I am unlikely to be about to pop my clogs! :laugh:

Top Bottom