Saturday, 11th May. Conder Green from Todmorden (100 miles) or Whalley (100 km)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I'll be setting off from home at about 7.30 so should be there before 8.30 Colin
I'll aim to get there between 08:25 and 08:30. If by some chance you aren't there by then we will wait (say) 10minutes but we would probably start to get cold if we waited too long, so I think we'd set off along the A646 at a modest pace and you could continue your TT to catch us up, but check the car park first!

have a great ride folks - look forward to report and pics - hope to join you sometime.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Fortunately, I woke up before my alarm went off. (Unfortunately, that was after less than 4 hours sleep, but that's another story...)

My phone was about 6 inches from my ear when its alarm went off. It was supposed to be set to a gentle beeping sound but 'piezo beep' had somehow got changed to 'raucous rooster'!! I would have had a heart attack if that damn thing had woken me! :laugh:

Anyway, time to start getting ready. The sun is shining and the forecast for the whole route is looking good - yay!

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Well, it was a good day out on the bikes. It's a pity that more of you couldn't have joined us!

I met @Littgull and @nickAKA in Dalton St car park in Todmorden at 08:30 and we set off along the A646, continuing on that until Rose Grove, between Burnley and Padiham. We showed Nick the Padiham Greenway from Rose Grove to Padiham and the Old Roman Rd route from Padiham to Spring Wood. Maybe he will use those in future to get him to the Ribble Valley?

We continued from Whalley to Great Mitton, where Nick had to turn for home - too many family commitments to spend the rest of the day meandering about with Littgull and me. We told him that he was leaving just as we were getting to the best parts of the route, but that's life, isn't it!

Before he left Nick took a selfie of us gathered in front of the medieval church at Mitton. I'm sure he will be along to post that at some point.

@Blue Hills told me some time ago that the church has a 'twinned toilet', which was something I had never heard of. If you have £60 to spare for a good cause, visit the charity's website. And for those of you, like BH, who are interested in old churches - take a look at this article.

Brian and I continued on our way at a leisurely pace. We could ride a bit faster than we do but the weather was nice, the scenery was glorious, and we had long hours of daylight so we weren't in a hurry.

The Trough of Bowland was looking lovely. I took a quick snap when we stopped for Brain to have a snack at the roadside ....

Littgull Trough of Bowland.jpg

As you can see, at that time we had scattered clouds and patches of blue sky. We were encountering a strengthening headwind which was a bit chilly as it was coming from a northerly direction, but when the sun was shining it was very pleasant.

We must be getting fitter - the climb of the Trough of Bowland is quite hard work from the south side (about 15% in places) but we were still nattering away for most of it!

A quick descent followed and then a long steady climb to Jubilee Tower. As we ascended the skies started to darken. There are panoramic views from the tower and we could see that rain was falling to the east but the sun was shining over Lancaster. We were going to head towards the coast so if we had continued immediately we might have avoided the rain but we decided to stop for another snack and to take some photos at the tower. Here's one of me standing there with my bike ...

ColinJ Jubilee Tower.jpg

By the time got moving again light rain was falling. It wasn't sufficiently bad that I felt the need to stop and put my 'boil-in-the-bag' light rain jacket on, but it made the road surface look a bit slippery for our descent and the windchill and damp made for a cold 15 minutes or so, but then we rode back into sunshine again and it stayed like that from then on. We were lucky - a friend tells me that our starting point in the Calder Valley experienced a heavy rain/hail storm at about that time!

We had a relaxed break at the cafe in Conder Green before turning and heading for home. We were now getting the promised tailwind helping us along so it made the return ride easier than I can recall from previous such rides, but Littgull was starting to get worrying twinges from one hamstring. He played safe and rode slowly on any steep ramps we encountered, but he still got up them on the bike rather than having to walk.

We had another short break at Sainsburys in Longridge (toilets/snacks) and then continued along the Fell, before descending to Ribchester Bridge and returning to Whalley via Old Langho and Billington.

Then it was the reverse of the outward route - Old Roman Rd, Padiham, Greenway to Rose Grove. Brian had put extra distance in at the start of the ride so he could have the luxury of catching the train home from Rose Grove but still get his imperial century in for the day, so I said goodbye to him at the station and continued solo. I stopped on the way back and phoned an order through to my local takeaway. I was getting very tired by then and didn't want to think about preparing food myself!

I have lost 2 long blocks of riding this year so far due to heavy colds and I could feel the lack of fitness towards the end of the ride. It was a very slow one, but we did tackle a surprising amount of climbing - I clocked the stats at 161 km/2,250 m of ascent (100 miles/7,400 ft).

I slept well last night!

Top report @ColinJ and good pics too. It was indeed, another highly enjoyable day out together.
Nice to meet and ride with @nickAKA for the first part of the ride. We discovered that we only live about 6 miles from each other.

As Colin mentioned, my hamstring tightened up later in the ride. it was about 5 minutes after setting off from the cafe at Conder Green for the return leg. So I'm glad I had put the extra distance in early in the morning to enable completion of the 100 miles by the time we reached Rose Grove train station on the return route. Catching the train from there meant that I avoided the grinding urban climb from Rose Grove to Habergham Eaves. It turned out that I had missed the hourly train to Littleborough by just 7 minutes but it was a warm evening, I had a couple of snack items left and some family text messages to read and respond to, so the time waiting for the train went very quickly.

Due to other commitments I will not be getting much cycling done over the coming week so a good opportunity to give that troublesome hamstring some rest and recovery.

nickAKA

Über Member

Apologies fellers, been a bit full on this weekend! Standard selfie...

"Action" shot...

Aquaduct over the M65 on the way back, don't know if I mentioned it but I have zero sense of direct hence a load of unnecessary detours on the return route, taking in some of Burnley's finest Council estates and a couple of 15% gradients...

Monument in Milnrow park, nearly home but my legs were on the brink of going on strike...

Enjoyed the ride & the company, good to meet you both and get some miles in the legs. One of my mates (having seen the ride) is up for whatever comes up next so pencil us in!

<iframe height='405' width='590' frameborder='0' allowtransparency='true' scrolling='no' src='View: https://www.strava.com/activities/2358656215/embed/9716969cd1d61e94b1a149f8b6de558c1d648d7e
'></iframe>

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Ha ha - that's what Garmins (Wahoos etc.) are for... :okay:

That picture of me standing next to Brian makes me look 50% bigger than him, and also confirms that I am carrying a little bit too much flab round my waist at the moment!

If you happen to be free on 22nd June, @Sea of vapours and I will be running our annual summer Dales ride, but for a change we will start and finish it in Clitheroe so there will be less Dales and some Ribble Valley etc. It is a 127 km loop. I will be cycling there and catching a train back from Clitheroe. You (and mate(s)) could either drive to Clitheroe or go there and back by train from Rochdale/Littleborough. It would be a very long day if you rode from home and even further if you rode back again.

I aim to organise another 100 mile Humber Bridge ride, possibly to take place on 8th June but I will have to check other peoples' diaries before the date can be confirmed. That is a flat ride for a change, start and finish in York.

A 100 mile Cheshire ride from Walkden station some time in July?

There will be other rides but no decisions made about those yet.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
Glad you avoided most of the rain. I almost posted a weather report on saturday morning, stating that it was glorious sunshine at this end of your ride, but by lunchtime it was persisting it down.

I was off scattering ashes with a few friends and we mostly got rained/hailed on, but the sun did come out by the time we found a suitable spot on the top of a hill.

nickAKA

Über Member
Ha ha - that's what Garmins (Wahoos etc.) are for... :okay:

That picture of me standing next to Brian makes me look 50% bigger than him, and also confirms that I am carrying a little bit too much flab round my waist at the moment!

If you happen to be free on 22nd June, @Sea of vapours and I will be running our annual summer Dales ride, but for a change we will start and finish it in Clitheroe so there will be less Dales and some Ribble Valley etc. It is a 127 km loop. I will be cycling there and catching a train back from Clitheroe. You (and mate(s)) could either drive to Clitheroe or go there and back by train from Rochdale/Littleborough. It would be a very long day if you rode from home and even further if you rode back again.

I aim to organise another 100 mile Humber Bridge ride, possibly to take place on 8th June but I will have to check other peoples' diaries before the date can be confirmed. That is a flat ride for a change, start and finish in York.

A 100 mile Cheshire ride from Walkden station some time in July?

There will be other rides but no decisions made about those yet.

All sounds good subject to dates, the only thing I know for sure at the moment is I'll be doing the Manchester - Blackpool with some 1st timers... I'll consult with SWMBO and ask the Crompton Clarion who fancies what, cheers Colin.

Top Bottom