England : Cambridgeshire Saturday 8 September 2018 - The Pie-cnic Part III: Pedals, Pies and Poncey Drinks

Discussion in 'CycleChat and Recreational Rides' started by Regulator, 23 Feb 2018.

Tags:
  1. Regulator

Regulator Scourge of stale, pale, male snowflakes.

The Vernon Levy Memorial Pie Appreciation Society is pleased to announce the​

3rd Annual Cambridge Piec-nic

which this year will take place on​

Saturday 8 September 2018.

2016-06-27-1467012722-9503721-porkpieandwine-thumb.jpg

There will be:
    • cycling (so please bring a bike with you);
    • a gin cafe visit* (so please bring a fresh liver with you);
    • a picnic in Grantchester Meadows (so please bring your picnic blankets with you);
    • laughter, flirtation and gossip aplenty (so please do not bring any tabloid reporters with you).
    The final itinerary will be published closer to the date but will include an opportunity to shop for toothsome comestibles (including pies of various descriptions) and vital liquids** on the day.

This early announcement is to gauge initial interest. If you're interested please pop your name below or drop me a PM.

* Including the chance for the rich pensioners amongst you to buy your host that bottle of gin he's been hankering after.
    **Grantchester Common doesn't have public loos but we will be near a local pub who won't mind us using their loos as long as some people are buying drinks. Although we will want to bring some booze with us, it would be nice and polite to give the pub some business.

TRAVEL

Rail
    Trains take about an hour from London. There are also links from the East Coast main line via Peterborough and cross country via Birmingham (from Birmingham New Street calling at Coleshill Parkway, Nuneaton, Leicester, Melton Mowbray, Oakham, Stamford, Peterborough, March and Ely).

Road
    Easily accessible via the M11/A11, A14 and A10. Parking in the city centre can be in short supply at the weekend - and expensive - but there are a number of Park & Ride sites around the city, including one in Trumpington which is connected to the Guided Busway - which has a very good cyclepath alongside, as far as Cambridge station.

ACCOMMODATION

Some people will be travelling some distance and have asked about accommodation. Here's some suggestions:

Hotels
    There are two Travelodge hotels in central Cambridge: Cambridge Central (which is close to the station) and Cambridge Newmarket Road. There is also one off the A14 in the north of the city (Orchard Park).

There’s also a Premier Inn towards the centre of the city as well, on Newmarket Road (next door to the Travelodge). There are two in the north of the city, one off the A14 (again next door to the Travelodge) and one in Girton.

There are also numerous other hotels and B&Bs. I’d recommend TripAdvisor. There's also a very nice youth hostel right near the station.

Campsites
    There is a Camping & Caravanning Club site about 3 miles from the city centre in Great Shelford (just down the road from me) which is well used by cyclists: Cabbage Moor Campsite. This is the one closest to the picnic site at Grantchester - but it is also the busiest in Cambridge.

There’s a Caravan Club site in Cherry Hinton and a privately owned site, Highfield Farm Touring Park, which has reasonable rates for cyclists. The Cherry Hinton site is a couple of miles from the city centre and the Highfield Farm site is about 5 miles. Both are on main bus routes as well.

Last edited: 24 Feb 2018
  2. mjr

mjr Wanting to Keep My EU Citizenship

Interested. Thanks

3. Dave 123

Dave 123 Guru

If I'm about then I'll come along.

4. Salty seadog

Salty seadog Space Cadet...(3rd Class...)

Interested indeed.

5. Lullabelle

Lullabelle Banana

See you all there :okay:

6. I am provisionally in, holidays allowing.

7. User1252

User1252 Guest

As ever, and despite my 100% record on this one, I am intending to.

Salty seadog likes this.
  8. srw

srw It's a bit more complicated than that...

Not impossible.

Don't forget it's ToB week that week - no routes announced yet.

9. sheddy

sheddy Veteran

Wot start time ?

10. hopless500

hopless500 Trundling along

Provisionally in :okay:

11. Saluki

Saluki I've run away with my friends to..

Interested as I will be living in Cambs by then, I should think.

hopless500 likes this.
  12. Jurek

Jurek Veteran

Pedals?
    Pies?
    Poncey drinks?

It's in the diary.

hopless500 likes this.
  13. OP
    OP
    Regulator

Probably around 10.00 am in Cambridge.

14. OP
    OP
    Regulator

If they use the shared path on Granchester Common we’ll be a bit buggered.... ^_^

hopless500 and Fab Foodie like this.
  15. ianrauk

ianrauk Tattooed Beat Messiah

In the diary

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice