England : Berkshire Saturday 9th November 2013. Brompton Bicycle: Reading to Richmond via Windsor Great Park

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

AKA Bob

Riding a folding bike far too much of the time...
For those of you who own a Brompton Bicycle and fancy taking it on a longer ride than just a commute to work this could be the ride for you? Sorry to say this ride is only for Bromptons as I am organising it on behalf of the London Brompton Club. Though Brompton owning non members are welcome!

The plan is to leave Reading Railway Station at 10am on Saturday 9th November and head east along the Kennet and Avon Canal before joining the Thames Path to Sonning. From there we will head back onto tarmac and travel through Twyford and Ascot before heading through Windsor Great Park where we will probably stop for lunch.

After lunch we will leave the Park and drop down into Egham where we will pick up the Thames Path again and head through Staines, pass Hampton Court and on to Richmond arriving hopefully about 4pm and a beer or two.

All in all it should be about 45 miles in distance which is reasonably flat with a few minor hills with a moving average speed of about 12mph. Be warned a fair amount of the route will be on non tarmac surfaces which could be muddy in places!

Trains run every 15mins or so from London Paddington and take about 25mins. While trains from Waterloo run twice an hour via Clapham Junction and take about an hour and 20mins. Richmond has a direct service to Reading on the Waterloo line and regular trains to Waterloo stopping at Clapham Junction taking about 20mins. Richmond also has the advantage of the District Line to Central London and other destinations.

Please meet outside Reading Station Southside at 9.45am for a prompt departure at 10am. If your interested in joining the ride please let me know in advance.

Last edited:
This sounds fun - 45 miles on a Brompton could be interesting...! May I put my name down please @AKA Bob?

Mice

PS @redfalo - I hope you and your better half are doing this.

Not a lot more than 45 miles on a Boardman which is surely a day in the park for a bicyclist of your vintage ... surely are you game for the ride out :surrender:

:eek:

Yikes!! Thank you for the compliment @StuartG but London Reading London on a Brommie - without cleats?? My max is 35 miles on a Brommie (an all over the shop London pootle that included Trafalgar Square, Richmond Park, Sheen and all sorts of places with User1314). I'm not sure I could do much more than that. I am looking at being measured for my cleats tho....!!

Mice

OP
OP
AKA Bob

AKA Bob

Come on Mice and StuartG come and join the fun and let the Train take the strain. Speaking to Delzegg today and if he can get the Brompton fixed he and Agent Hilda might even make the trip!

OP
OP
AKA Bob

AKA Bob

Maybe too embarrassed to take it into BC as it does have mudguards and I believe a rear rack!!! I remember it does......

Top Bottom